Why become a member? ×

What power amp to use wt/ Ampeg SVP PRO?

Break Neck Speed

Would recommend QSC, Crown, Chevin,C-Audio amps from personal experience.
Dont overlook some of the others though-Peavey, Yamaha, EV and others are worth a look,although s/h ones are likely to be heavy!
If you're after a newer lightweight amp, the QSC PLX range are great IMHO.
Guess you'll be needing an output of around 300 watts plus to drive your cab properley, so make sure the amp you choose can drive a 4 ohm load which is what your 8x10 cab will probably be rated at.
Hope this helps.

Edited by casapete

Cheers for the reply. I cant really afford to stretch to crown & qsc prices tbh. If i did then the amp & pre will end up costing nearly same as an svt 2.

Ive looked long and hard on thomann & the power amp thats closest to the spec of the ampeg svp 1600 power amp is this:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_pg2200.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_pg2200.htm[/url]

It outputs 2200 watts in mono bridged mode in to 4 ohms compared to 1600 watts in mono bridged mode on the ampeg power amp. Its defo with in my budget too & leaves loads of head room with the extra power too.

Anyone had any experiences with this power amp?

[quote name='Break Neck Speed' post='331065' date='Nov 17 2008, 09:49 PM']Ive heard good things about crown. Second hand is defo a good option as i cant really afford a new one. Im still very tempted to go for the samson one i posted above for the price/power ratio. Its not bad looking either.[/quote]

It'll sound as good as the Crown, and it's probably a bargain. 2200W isn't very much louder than 1400W.

Thing about Crown though, you know they're going to be reliable.

[quote name='Break Neck Speed' post='329685' date='Nov 15 2008, 03:12 PM']Hi,

I just bought an Ampeg SVP PRO preamp. Im not sure what power amp to buy to run it. Im gona be running it in to an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

How much power do i really need to get the best sound?
What power amps would you recommend?
Anyone else running the same rig? What ye using?
Power amp brands to avoid?

Thanks a million,
Tom.[/quote]

Hey Tom, it may sound lazy of me.. but I know this question has been asked before about the SVP.. I think if you do a search in this forum you'll find some posts including some of my own opinions! ;o)