Why become a member? ×

Aria FEB - any thoughts?

Dankology

I'm sorely tempted to pick one of these up as I'd like to have something approaching an upright sound on a couple of songs but cannot really see me going for the real thing (for any number of practical reasons). 

I have a few reservations though. No one locally seems to carry any stock and the only online demos I can find are a bit compromised in terms of the sound quality. I'm also barely 5'7 and a bit concerned about how big these things are - I can imagine looking more than faintly ridiculous if they're as boxy as I fear.

So, I guess my questions boil down to: will this give enough of an "upright sound" to be worth the effort of lugging an extra instrument (and honing my fretless skills), are they prone to feedback on stage and are they as enormous as they appear in the photos?

There's a long thread on TB about them but the signal to noise ratio isn't great...

I had one for a while.  They are not expensive.  I really liked the acoustic sound - but you couldn't use that live.  The sound through the pick-up was... ok, not bad by any means, but it didn't blow me away.

Anyway, either way, it doesn't sound anything like an upright bass.  But it has a nice sound of its own.

Personally, if I wanted an "upright vibe" but could not use an actual upright, then I would play whatever your normal bass is, ideally with flats, with the tone rolled down, and either use foam under the bridge, or palm mute.  I'm not sure that the fretlessness is that important - perhaps it depends on the style of music.

Thanks for that.

I think the sound I'd most like to approximate is the one I hear on John Martyn's Solid Air. I saw someone playing a guitarron live a few years ago and that seemed to be close enough for me so I wondered if the Aria might do the trick. Because I'm certainly not going to start lugging a guitarron around... I do like the sound on the Alain Caron video but I'm sure that's more to do with a far more expensive bass and far more talented fingers than mine.

I'm already a big fan of muted flats on my electric - but it's just not the same is it? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the next battered old upright that comes up on Gumtree.

Really appreciate you reply - thanks.

On 14/01/2018 at 14:43, Dankology said:

I have a few reservations though. No one locally seems to carry any stock and the only online demos I can find are a bit compromised in terms of the sound quality.

I've not come across the FEB before so I Googled some YouTube videos. They sound fine to me, for a sub-300 quid bass. The choice of strings would go some way to giving a more acoustic-like sound.

6 hours ago, Dankology said:

Thanks for that.

I think the sound I'd most like to approximate is the one I hear on John Martyn's Solid Air. 

The track, Solid air or the album?

The bass on the song is a Danny Thompson & Victoria combo - good luck getting that sound with an acoustic bass guitar! ;-)

If you already have flats on your electric, it's worth experimenting with foam mutes to kill off the sustain. Also try plucking with side of your finger (or your thumb!) for a softer sound.

Dave.

Thanks for the further thoughts - I hadn't really clocked the Shortbass before but your samples certainly sound in the right ballpark. Sadly I'm nowhere near London or Bristol but it's definitely more food for thought...

I'm not under any illusions about making a £200 electro sound like a true double bass (let alone one played by Danny Thompson!) but if it I can find something that might approximate some of the attack I'd be pretty happy. Especially as it'll only be getting mushed up through crappy PAs for the most part.

• 2 years later...