Why become a member? ×

5 String Advice?

Grouse

The SR's have really thin necks! I mainly use the 5 for moving notes up the neck, for example, playing Donna Summer - Hot stuff, is pretty much exclusively octaves around G and F (1st and 3rd fret on a 4 string) for around 4 minutes is uncomfortable. Play it on a 5 string means it can be played on the B string above around the 6th and 8th frets which is far more comfortable. The extra low register is amazing as well, adds so much depth being able to go as low as B!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/09/2022 at 16:28, TheGreek said:

My first few ventures into 5ers resulted in playing lots of bum notes with my right hand. Affected my confidence so they all got moved on.  It wasn't till I started playing with a floating thumb technique that I overcame the problem. Lots of videos on YT but Scott Devine and Mark Smith both have videos on their sites.

It wasn't until I'd been playing for a few years I learned thumb anchoring was the way bass was supposed to be played. I was reading an interview with Geddy Lee at the time who said he used a floating thumb technique and was like "oh, I do that, okay".

• Like 2