Why become a member? ×

Taming the Orange!

vmaxblues

5 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

^ Flat setting is mids maxed rather than 12 o'clock btw.

Tone control on your bass for the treble, cab positioning for low end response (i.e. get it up off the floor or further from the wall)! Or all from your bass if you have an active pre!

But I've never found the OTB's 'flat' setting overly bright or bassy.

There are simulations online of passive tone stacks of you want to see what's possible. One oddity for example is that with all EQ knobs off, no sound passes through at all.

My impression of it being very bassy came from believing the labelling of the knobs: 12 o'clock labelled as zero, anticlockwise as cut, clockwise as boost. But now that I know that's wrong and flat bass EQ is anticlockwise fully... no, it doesn't seem particularly bassy. They need to change those labels 'though... 

Hiho just a recap

There is a lot of bass on tap on these amps as well as gain .Get your head round that and bingo.

In my experience with Orange cabs the 410 is the muddier one,SP cabs have a lot of bottom and the 115 is very open growly and sounds fabulous.I have the SP  212 and OBC115 and I use either or both depending on venue or practice.

Overall I have never been happier with my bass sound and always get compliments on my sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 17:36, mcnach said:

I think is a combination of that amp (if flat bass EQ is all the way anticlockwise!) and the big box that is that stage. I started using my BF Two10 largely because when you place it over the 410, it sounds great. These days I never seem to be able to park around the corner as I used to, so I don't bother... but yes, amp's bass EQ all the way down for sure, and turn up the mids. 

I am surprised they haven't yet put a crate under the amp... but if everybody does like we do, talk about it and not tell them, then it might never happen :D

I like Stramash, but you do need it packed for anything to sound half decent in that room. 

FYI I played Stramash tonight and connected my own GK MB500 up to the Orange 4x10. I got a much tighter bass sound compared with the sound I used to get from the Orange Terror Head. It made the night a much more satisfying experience than normal.

8 minutes ago, gjones said:

FYI I played Stramash tonight and connected my own GK MB500 up to the Orange 4x10. I got a much tighter bass sound compared with the sound I used to get from the Orange Terror Head. It made the night a much more satisfying experience than normal.

I'll be there next Friday and Saturday... I might take my amplifier and see how it goes. It's got a built-in adjustable HPF so that must help.