Why become a member? ×

ESP 'Vintage' PJ Bass... anybody got or tried one?

warwickhunt

I'm after a 3 tone sunburst, Precision bodied bass preferably with a Jazz or 2nd Precision pick-up in the bridge position (hankering after a bass I owned in my youth). I came across the ESP Vintage PJ bass and wondered if anyone had any experience; build quality (I've owned several ESP aftermarket necks and bodies and they were 'good'!), pups, weight, playability... generally any comments greatly appreciated. :)

Better still has anyone seen one used in a shop. :huh:

Thanks

These do look really nice. There's one in a shop near me in black/white/maple but it's about 1100 quid :)

I saw a review of one in a mag. I think it was Guitar and Bass Magazine but I've just had a quick flick through the pile and I can't find it. It was that exact model you've pictured. IIRC the review wasn't exactly glowing.

It criticized the relicking for looking a bit artificial in places and ESP had curiously lacquered over the worn away bits so that it wouldn't relic any further. They said it was well made and had some good sounds but for the money there are better alternatives.

I'll try and dig the mag out if I get time.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='327085' date='Nov 11 2008, 08:33 PM']These do look really nice. There's one in a shop near me in black/white/maple but it's about 1100 quid :)

I saw a review of one in a mag. I think it was Guitar and Bass Magazine but I've just had a quick flick through the pile and I can't find it. It was that exact model you've pictured. IIRC the review wasn't exactly glowing.

It criticized the relicking for looking a bit artificial in places and ESP had curiously lacquered over the worn away bits so that it wouldn't relic any further. They said it was well made and had some good sounds but for the money there are better alternatives.

[b]I'll try and dig the mag out if I get time.[/b][/quote]

Nice one!

It does seem odd to lacquer the relic'd finish but it is just for show so I'm not too fussed about that but if there are other 'issues' then that's a different matter.

I've just had another look for the mag but I can't find it.

I don't think it was so much that there was anything actually wrong with the bass, just that for the sort of money they are going for, which is around the one grand mark new, you are getting up towards boutique bass territory, and it's a very fiercely contested part of the market.

Haven't tried the Vintage series but I have owned an old ESP 400 Series since the early 90's and it's still the best Jazz bass I've ever played. I wouldn't have any concerns about the tone, playability or build quality or anything like that. Real ESP's, as opposed to LTD, are consistently excellent in my experience.

A lot of the Japanese builders are doing the relic thing and most of them do give the relic'd instrument a fresh coat of laquer when they're through. It's more of a designer relic than a proper battering, if you know what I mean, like ripped knees in a new pair of jeans... and we all wore them at some point :)

[quote name='Doctor J' post='327279' date='Nov 12 2008, 08:35 AM']Haven't tried the Vintage series but I have owned an old ESP 400 Series since the early 90's and it's still the best Jazz bass I've ever played. I wouldn't have any concerns about the tone, playability or build quality or anything like that. Real ESP's, as opposed to LTD, are consistently excellent in my experience.

A lot of the Japanese builders are doing the relic thing and most of them do give the relic'd instrument a fresh coat of laquer when they're through. It's more of a designer relic than a proper battering, if you know what I mean, like ripped knees in a new pair of jeans... and we all wore them at some point :)[/quote]

I have an ESP 400 Jazz bass that is superb. The best neck ever. I bought it new in 1989 and its as rare as rockin horse poop :huh: My neck though is a little screwed and maybe beyond repair. The odd thing with mine is the head on it is nothing like any other ESP head I have seen, apart from 1 picture. Its exactly the same as a Fender head. I Know ESP used to make parts for Fender so I am wondering if my ESP is actually parts that were made for Fender but just have ESP stickers on them.

Doctor J, can you post a picture of your ESP 400. I would love to see what head you have on yours. Here is a picture of my black ESP 400 Series.

Edited by Linus27

As Michael Jackson sang to Bubbles, you are not alone :)

I asked ESP about it, they dated the Fender headstock ones between 86 and 88, a fire destroyed their records sometime in the 90s. Your one is very nice, very nice indeed. Are they Barts? It's not quite the same as a Fender headstock though, it's contoured slightly differently than every Fender I've checked it against and I'd say is a couple of mm thicker than a Fender headstock too.

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Doctor J' post='327373' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:19 AM']As Michael Jackson sang to Bubbles, you are not alone :)

I asked ESP about it, they dated the Fender headstock ones between 86 and 88, a fire destroyed their records sometime in the 90s. Your one is very nice, very nice indeed. Are they Barts? It's not quite the same as a Fender headstock though, it's contoured slightly differently than every Fender I've checked it against and I'd say is a couple of mm thicker than a Fender headstock too.[/quote]

Hiya, yes I changed the pups to Bartolini. It sounds superb and my neck is super thin. Is your neck super thin? I have not played any other bass with a neck as thin as this. Thanks also for the info. That was really useful. I think mine was made around 87 or 88 so this ties in with what you say. Compared to other Fender headstocks, I also noticed the ESP one is a lot thicker. Your's is only the second one I have seen with the same head as mine. My neck is a little warped and I might need to get a new one if it can't be repaired. However, I don't think I will ever find one. I am hoping someone can fix it though. Mine looks a little different now as i have put the white scratplate on and it looks great. Do you have any idea how much they are worth?

Mine is fairly traditionally sized, I've a Sadowsky which is a lot thinner but the ESP just feels like home. The rosewood is a thin laminate rather than a slab. Back in the day I used to continually swap out parts on instruments but the ESP was the only one I ever left completely stock. I love the sound out of it, the feel of it, everything about it. I've no idea what they're worth, I could never sell mine. I've never played another passive Jazz which even comes close. They're never valued to the actual quality of the bass, that's for sure.

For example, there was also a 800 Series bass, there used to be one in one of the shops over here in the late 80's, it was ash bodied with a transparent purple finish with gold hardware. Beautiful, really amazing looking but fundamentally the same as the 400 underneath it all, it also had the Fender style headstock but it was the deluxe model really. Here's one for €500 which, unless it's broken, is just a crazy price given that €500 won't even get you a MIM standard over here.

[url="http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_esp-800-series-jazz-bass-4-corde-passivo_id1062732.html"]http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_esp-..._id1062732.html[/url]

And the purple one, man I love this bass

[url="http://www3.uwants.com/viewthread.php?tid=6437101"]http://www3.uwants.com/viewthread.php?tid=6437101[/url]

[quote name='Doctor J' post='327443' date='Nov 12 2008, 11:37 AM']Mine is fairly traditionally sized, I've a Sadowsky which is a lot thinner but the ESP just feels like home. The rosewood is a thin laminate rather than a slab. Back in the day I used to continually swap out parts on instruments but the ESP was the only one I ever left completely stock. I love the sound out of it, the feel of it, everything about it. I've no idea what they're worth, I could never sell mine. I've never played another passive Jazz which even comes close. They're never valued to the actual quality of the bass, that's for sure.

For example, there was also a 800 Series bass, there used to be one in one of the shops over here in the late 80's, it was ash bodied with a transparent purple finish with gold hardware. Beautiful, really amazing looking but fundamentally the same as the 400 underneath it all, it also had the Fender style headstock but it was the deluxe model really. Here's one for €500 which, unless it's broken, is just a crazy price given that €500 won't even get you a MIM standard over here.

[url="http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_esp-800-series-jazz-bass-4-corde-passivo_id1062732.html"]http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_esp-..._id1062732.html[/url]

And the purple one, man I love this bass

[url="http://www3.uwants.com/viewthread.php?tid=6437101"]http://www3.uwants.com/viewthread.php?tid=6437101[/url][/quote]

Wow, they look great and I never knew they did an 800 series. The first one looks stunning. Would like that myself. I would also never sell mine. I agree with you, never played a Jazz bass as nice as my ESP. I was told that they are worth around £600 now which seems a little crazy. I can't see people wanting to part with £600 for one unless they know how good they are. Thanks again for the info. Really appreciate it. Its pretty impossible to find any info about these basses. All I know is they are great :)