Why become a member? ×

Eastwood Customshop Basses

basskit_case

The problem I have with Eastwood instruments (and that includes the Custom Shop Offerings) is that essentially they are made up almost entirely of standard off-the-shelf parts and therefore often completely lose the vibe of the instruments that they are supposed to be re-creating.

The EB1 does look cool, but apart from the violin-esque body shape it doesn't seem to have a lot in common with the Gibson model it is based on.

I have an eastwood Warren Ellis tenor guitar which I bought it second-hand on ebay for just under half the cost of a new one which was quite a bargain. It is without a doubt my favourite non-bass instrument. I have it strung with all unwound strings as a low-G tenor uke and it records really well.

It is very well made - the neck/body join is tight, the neck feels comfortable and worn-in with the fretwork as good as I've played on any instument. If I felt thast one of the Eastwood custom shop instruments was calling me and I had the cash to spare, I wouldn't hesitate to place an order.

Although I didn't buy it from the custom shop, the first batch of this model was originally sold as a custom shop run. I don't know whether mine was part of a custom shop run, or whether I was just lucky to get a particularly good one.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard