Why become a member? ×

couple of questions for any Kemper owners

Walker

Hi, I have a couple of questions for any Kemper owners.

Over the years I've tried a few cheaper and more costly hardware modellers from Line 6 and Zoom, and software ones too, and they've mostly had that slight fizzy, digital factet / shadow / echoey thing after a note's been played, especially when listening with headphones (kids in bed at 8pm!). Is this noticeable with a kemper? Or does it 'feel' less digital?

Does the headphone output give a decent volume? On my Pod XT Pro, I need to use a headphone amp to get decent volume on my PJB cans.

Finally, I'm trying to grasp the concept of rigs. Can you switch effects in and out like you can in a modeller or are they 'recorded' and part of the profile? So if a head was profiled with a dirt pedal up front, I'd assume that that's it and you can't remove the pedal? is that right?

Cheers,

Chris

Hello - 

OK - so there isn't any digital artifacts like you describe... however if the profile that you are using is noisy, then the output will be noisy.... like an amp. If it's got hiss going on due to the gain, then so does the Kemper. It certainly doesn't feel digital - in fact, it's quite openly known that it tricks most people into thinking that it is the real deal.

I've never used the headphones output so can't give you an answer to that - however, volume is subjective and also the volume you experience is also down to the impedance of the headphones that you use. I believe that the PJBs are 32 Ohm should be ok for use without a headphone amp for most applications... but there's nothing stopping you from using a seperate headphone amp. Headphone amps can be picked up for not a great deal - so shouldn't be a deal breaker - and if you've already got some, then job done.

So rigs are generally just the sound of the amps - whether that be clean or dirty.... and can be profiles with or without cabs. If you were to put a drive pedal in front of the amp that you are profiling, then that sound would make up your resulting profile. You can't remove the pedal. Typically you run a number of profiles of the same amp - from clean to dirty with all shades inbetween. The Kemper does allow for the addition and subtraction of gain - but wont go from clean to dirty as well as if you are running separate profiles of the amp running at different gains. You can EQ on all profiles. The Kemper has fx built in - modulations, delays, octaves and drives (yes, it has models of dirt pedals that can be placed in front of any profile) - these are basically virtual stomp boxes that can be added and removed to the base profile... as they would be a traditional amp.

I should mention that you can only profile amps, drives and distortions. Time based effects cannot be profiled.

Thanks very much for that. I understand that a noisy profile will be noisy, I was just concerned about digital artifacts, so you have put my mind at ease.

I've got the PJB headphone amp, the bighead (amazing bit of kit!), so it's there if I need it.

I didn't realise the Kemper had modeled pedals, I thought everything was profiled, so it's neat that you can use and removed them, that's better than I'd hoped.

From what I have watched, heard and read, there are some exceptional bass profiles available too.

Thanks again, really appreciated.

Chris

My Kemper has arrived and I've spent a couple of evenings playing with my bass and guitars and this is an incredible bit of kit. Through my PJB cans both the bass and guitar rigs I've trialed and added to my 'faves' blow away any modeller type thing I have tried before.

I've even found a B-15 Heritage profile that comes pretty darned close to my real B-15 Heritage :)

I understand I'll need an FRFR powered cab, but can you get one that will peform bass and guitar duties? I've read that QSC 12" PA speakers may do a good job, but if anyone has any experience of FRFR in this situation, I've be grateful for any pointers.

Thanks.

I ended up with FR800s for my FRFR cabs to go with my Kemper. I would have picked the RCF/QSC etc for pure PA duties, but (after trying lots of the high end stuff) decided the Barefaceds had better lows and a nicer form factor for bass use which was my main use. They do make cracking PA cabs, but not what I'd choose if I was buying a PA first and a bass cab second.

IMAG0822(1).jpg

• 3 months later...
On 11/30/2017 at 17:31, EBS_freak said:

It's like a wedge, yes.

What would the real difference be between the 735 and 745?

I can see they seem pretty similar but the 745 has a 4" voice coil against the 3" coil of the 735, but what does that really mean if I wanted to use one or the other as bass / guitar amplification with a Kemper?

Thank you for your advice so far.

10 minutes ago, Walker said:

What would the real difference be between the 735 and 745?

I can see they seem pretty similar but the 745 has a 4" voice coil against the 3" coil of the 735, but what does that really mean if I wanted to use one or the other as bass / guitar amplification with a Kemper?

Thank you for your advice so far.

In practice - sonically, very little, the crossover point of the 745 is a little lower than the 735. Consequently, the 745 should be able to handle more in the woofer department as the horn in the 745 can take on a little more than the one in the 735. The woofer voice coil itself is larger in the 745 so you are going to get a little extra in that department too. For use with bass and guitar, I doubt you would tell the difference. Maybe if you tried the 735 and 745 side by side with vocals you'd notice something... but I've never done that specific test. 735 or 745, they are both class acts and certainly better speced and performance that most of their counterparts with the same retail price.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I didn't know that! Every day is a school day :)

We'll have to try the 735 and 745 together Russ or all four and your subs at the same time,  ooofft!!

Those subs are beasts. They did that festival I played at last year - and were barely on tick over!