Why become a member? ×

EMG (active) v's Basslines

Johnebass

I need help...............

I have 5 string thru neck shuker bass which is gorgeous however the EMG passive HZ's that are on there make it sound very thin and I am after a nice warm fat sound with loads of punch, therefore have decided to go with active pichups and are now looking at either active EMG's or Seymour Duncan Basslines. Both will fit nicely into the bass, the issue is not knowing how they are going to sound. My options are:

[b]Option One[/b]
2 x Basslines ASB2-5

[b]Option Two[/b]
1 x EMG 40CS (Bridge)
1 x EMG 40DC (Neck)

[b]Option Three[/b]
2 x EMG 40 DC

Has anyone out there got any experience with this? All this chopping and changing around is getting expensive so any opinions from you guys would be gratfully received.

Ta

John

I'll give you a proper review of the 2 in a bit.. but, the EMGs and the basslines you mention are actually different sizes. I think the EMGs will fit better than the SD's.

I'll pop back later.

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bassesdescr.shtml"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bassesdescr.shtml[/url]

The ASB-5 is the same size as the EMGs. The ASB2-5 you mention is narrower.

I'm back..

OK, John.. the ASB2's and the DC's are completely different in tone. in it's simplest description, the ASB's are P style pups in a soap bar. The DC's are dual rails in a soapbar. The former of the two has more of a P style plummy sort of sound, whereas the DC's have a musicman style rasp and more bite to the top end. It could be said that the P styles have a deeper bottom end, simply because the DCs are far toppier. (interesting adjectives dan!)
Don't forget EMG also do a 5 string P style pup too.

Both of my Shukers have these pups. The Elite has the ASB2's and 'Doodle' has DC's. The tones are very different. Which you go for in the end will be down to your preference between P style and DCs. You will find that when both pups are on together you will get a nother difference in tone too.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the output level of the ASB pups is much lower that the EMGs. It's not a 'problem', but I do prefer a stronger output and for all my basses to have the same output level, so i dont need to mess with gain controls all the time.

Ok, suggestion time. How about 1 of each style? Have an EMG DC and an EMG P style soapbar? EMG have quick release harnesses that would allow you to unclip them and switach positions. You may like the DC better in the neck position, but the connector would allow you to swap the pups over (as they are the same size) into the 'other' position without having to do any soldering.

[quote name='Johnebass' post='33525' date='Jul 18 2007, 12:13 PM']Thanks for your inputs and lots to think about.

Best get back to Jon as he was getting some ASB2's in incase I went down that route.[/quote]

My own custom 5-sting headless started off with an EMG CS at the bridge and a DC at the neck end. I upgraded the DC to a P5 a year back and it gave a much more usable front pickup with plenty of depth and power. I've heard the SD pickups have a natural 'scooped' or mid-cut sound to them. Its only what I've heard - never used them. I would recommend the CS/P5 EMG arrangement. For your info, I'm using a Bartolini NTMB 3-band circuit with these, and it sounds great.

Cheers
Ian

Me too Joe! Sometimes I forget about 'that sound' - and then I pick up another bass.. play it for a bit, then plug my EMG loaded basses back in. Never ceases to raise a smile!

I really do like the SD ASB2's though. Little low on the output mebbe. i use an EMG booster control to match the output of my EMGs which helps a great deal.

[quote name='dood' post='33490' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:07 AM'][url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bassesdescr.shtml"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bassesdescr.shtml[/url]

The ASB-5 is the same size as the EMGs. The ASB2-5 you mention is narrower.[/quote]

Sorry.. me stoopido! I got that round the wrong way! ASB2 is the same size as EMGs.. Sorry for any confusion!

Thankyou all for your input. Have asked Jon to order EMG's, one off each of the DC and CS, I figure that if I'm still not happy with the sound I can use the quick release facility and change them around or even try the P5 as per Dood's suggestion without travelling up to Sheffield each time.

Edited by Johnebass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' post='39725' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:07 PM']um.. Jon can order them directly. Failing that Paul_C *I think* had a contact, but I'm not sure if Paul is still 'dealing' in bits.[/quote]

Got one from Mike Walsh at BM, arrives tomorrow.