Why become a member? ×

Micro-Fret Collection

elom

I have a friend (well an internet acquaintance) who is an enthusiastic guitar collector. I noticed an unusual bass in the background on one of his photos which he told me was a Micro-Fret. He sent me some photos (and gave his permission for me to post them here).

I don't know much about the company but these were made in the mid 60s and I just imagine them being used on the 'surf' music scene!

The green one is a Rendezvous and the others are Signatures. Enjoy!

Edited by elom

Now there's a blast from the past!
I must admit to remembering these guitars having first seen them myself around the early 70's.
If you've not already discovered it, the [url="http://www.toneshed.com/documents/microfretspages.html"]Toneshed[/url] website has a whole bunch of info on Micro-Frets instruments though they're apparently still looking for more pics and literature...

The big selling point as I remember it was the adjustable nut that let set the intonation there as well, so it's interesting to see that the green bass on the left of the group pictures has a fairly standard nut.

There was at least one of these seemingly in every music shop in the mid 70s so I wonder where they all went?

[quote name='Bassassin' post='326770' date='Nov 11 2008, 02:20 PM']I do like these. I know the name but don't think I've ever encountered any before. Very interesting creatures - whereabouts were they from?

Jon.[/quote]

The company was originally from Maryland but folded in the 70s when the founder died. The name and rights have recently been bought and a new Micro-Fret company has started making the guitars again. There is more at [url="http://www.microfrets.com"]www.microfrets.com[/url] but no basses as yet - think I might drop them a line!