Why become a member? ×

My First Assembly - '76' Jazz Bass

discreet

20 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

That is a fantastic bass - very well done! I particularly love the hardware. I assume the slight neck dive has now been remedied?

Thank you sir... yes it has. :) I knew that fitting the Ultralites would have cosmetic consequences, which is why it took me so long to get round to fitting them - but function trumped form in the end - and though the tuner-hole issue is annoying, there is NO neck dive whatsoever. The bass hangs on the strap exactly in the position that I play it and no effort is needed to hold the neck up.

That, plus the fact the bass is incredibly light for a Jazz, makes it a delight to pick up and play so it was well worth doing. My P Bass seems like a real boat anchor by comparison, though it's still less than 9lbs. I've also realised that most basses do have some sort of neck dive issue, though it only really manifests itself when it becomes extreme. I think Ultralites are a great affordable upgrade if you want to instantly lose 1/2lb of weight from your bass. Except where originality or style would be a consideration, of course.

I just wish I'd fitted them in the first place instead of the Schallers. 9_9

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great job, it looks fantastic. 

No issues with the paulownia body? I’ve just acquired a paulownia Precision style body for a self build but I have heard a few negatives about it’s strength and integrity, not least on this very forum. 

Did you need to use grain filler? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can share.

22 minutes ago, PaulGibsonBass said:

Great job, it looks fantastic. 

No issues with the paulownia body? I’ve just acquired a paulownia Precision style body for a self build but I have heard a few negatives about it’s strength and integrity, not least on this very forum. 

Did you need to use grain filler? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can share.

Thanks. No issues with the Paulownia. Though I would suggest a clear coat of something tough to protect it. Any perceived negatives are worth it for the extreme light weight. I did need to grain fill the body - paulownia is a very grainy and porous wood.

6 minutes ago, discreet said:

We'll need pics and more pics!

There will be many!

It’s my first assembly, so I’m looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully ending up with an adequately serviceable instrument.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

7 minutes ago, PaulGibsonBass said:

There will be many!

It’s my first assembly, so I’m looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully ending up with an adequately serviceable instrument.

It'll be fine. If I can do it I'm sure you can. :)

• Like 1