Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar upgrades

Necrobacker

hi,
I'm looking at upgrading parts of my squire troy sanders jaguar
i play in a death metal band with A# standard tuning, so the strings i use are "quite" thick :P
so far i have changed the bridge to a fender high mass bridge.
I've noticed the tuning pegs aren't the best at holding the tuning, anyone have any suggestions for replacements below £50
also, is it worth upgrading the pickups the the EMG P/J actives too get that "uber metal alles" tone, or try something else link seymor duncan?

***i don't user any pedals, bar my boss tuner, as i get the distortion i need from my orange ob-1 300

It probably isn't the tuners, it's probably the fact you're in A# lol.
Have a chat with Newtone Strings about a higher tension set of strings, just tell them what you're tuned too and they'll sort you out.
You won't be able to tune to standard (too much tension), and your bass will need a setup to accommodate them, but will mean you can have lower gauge strings, a lower action, and still time low!

Si

As Sibob says, it's probably not so much the tuners, it'll be more down to the strings. Not used Newtone myself, so can't comment on their custom strings.
Though this does seem a good approach IMO

If you did want to upgrade the tuners, then for £50, you probably aren't going to get anything of higher quality than the ones already on your bass. If they're the standard ones you get on a Squier - they're not bad.....not brilliant either, but not bad... You'd be better off saving a bit more cash, and get some 2nd hand tuners - keep an eye on the marketplace here on BC, or place a wanted ad. Cheers

Edited by Marc S