Why become a member? ×

Recording bass guitar

Gwilym

hi everybody,
I've just started doing some recording with the band I'm in. Mostly rough takes at the moment to build up the basic tracks. It's going to be pretty iterative as we're doing it bit by bit onto a mac around our houses.

So, initially, I've just used my EBS MicrobassII as a "pre-amp" between the bass and audio interface. When it comes to putting down the main tracks, I'll probably use by Demeter 201 tube pre to warm up the sound.

So my question really is as in the topic description. Are there any pieces of equipment (pre-amps/DI's) that you think have been invaluable in giving you a good recorded tone? I won't be mic-ing up any cabs or anything. I'm mainly look for a big fat warm tone (but very clean).

Also, do you put any compression on the bass before you record, or just leave that to the mix-down/mastering phase?

Would be very gratefull for any suggestions :)

cheers
G

Use the Demeter as soon as possible! I use my Aguilar DB680 in the studio, straight into the audio interface. It sounds immense. I don't put any compression on it when tracking - it's not really needed 'cos the valves tend to keep the level pretty consistent and spike-free. I do EQ the Aguilar though - I've got my sweet-spot but can re-EQ it in ProTools if required.

Sansamp Bass DI works well (engineer was complaining that the DI out from a GK MB150 was 'too hot' - but his eyes lit-up when he say the Sansamp...)

I'd really recommend having a mic on a cab as well though (blending makes perfect)
No compressors for me - leave that to the guy on the desk.

I've had good results using my Phil Jones Bass Buddy, and I use the compressor on it for tracking as it's very subtle and just irons out a few of my many mistakes. It's great if you want uber-clean, but doesn't do dirty. At all. I agree that the Ridge Farm Gas Cooker is a superb piece of kit. I'm yet to record straight out of my LMII, and I'm interested to hear the results. If I get round to doing any recording anytime soon, I'll do some AB's of the PJB and LMII. If miking, I use a Neumann U87ai - I personally think it sounds its absolute best on any bass cab, usually through a DACS Clarity Micamp or a combination of TL Audio valve preamp and Joe Meek stereo opto compressor if I want some dirt.

Just Googled that Neumann - Almost £2000 - I think we definitely inhabit different worlds! :)
I bet it's amazing...

When we had our demo recorded, the bass cab mic was an Audix D6 - sounded good to me.

I agree with you on Joe Meek - all the stuff I've heard has been nice.
I *think* the compressor at the studio was a TL Audio. I'm very fond of my Compounder - it's in our PA chain now.
Oh dear - started rambling...

But the main point (for me) is to have both Direct and mic'd signals to play with if possible.

The Audix D6 is superb, and my favourite kick drum mic. I don't personally own the Neumann u87ai (yet!), the studio I managed had a couple, and they were far from the most expensive mics there :huh: but sounded amazing on bass. And yes, DI and Mic gives you options - remember, you don't necessarily have to use all the options available to you, but it's best to have recorded lots of options for mixing than not!

J

[quote name='Stewart' post='326400' date='Nov 10 2008, 11:17 PM']Just Googled that Neumann - Almost £2000 - I think we definitely inhabit different worlds! :)
I bet it's amazing...

When we had our demo recorded, the bass cab mic was an Audix D6 - sounded good to me.

I agree with you on Joe Meek - all the stuff I've heard has been nice.
I *think* the compressor at the studio was a TL Audio. I'm very fond of my Compounder - it's in our PA chain now.
Oh dear - started rambling...

But the main point (for me) is to have both Direct and mic'd signals to play with if possible.[/quote]

I've not tried this with bass, but it works well with guitar.......... Play in a silent room, listening through headphones, and record the acoustic sound of your electric bass with a condensor mic. It's a nice option to have when mixing IMHO. Has anyone tried this on bass?

hey peeps, thanks for all the suggestions!

[quote name='The Funk' post='325208' date='Nov 9 2008, 11:40 AM']Use the Demeter as soon as possible![/quote]

is what I did this evening :) into an audio interface -> Mac/Logic

great results, and just eq-ing to get the bass sound I wanted as the recorded line, rather than doing any eq-ing in the mix down.

didn't use compression either and it sounded fine.

the Demeter sounded much better than the EBS, a warmer fuller sound, and I'll stick with it for recording now.

cheers
G

• 2 weeks later...

U87 is an unusual choice for bass. A u47 fet would more often get those duties at the high end (and I'd be more likely to use the d6 than a U87 at the other end of the spectrum. To be frank if I'm micing a bass (and I do so less and less nowadays) I would probably use a subkcik on 80% of occasions. There are a range of studio standard DI's for bass. The only one I've seen mentioned here is the gas cooker. Depending on what I'm shooting for I might use an A Designs Reddi, a creation audio MW1, )or a combination of the reddi for the lows and the mw1 for the highs) or even a simple BSS 133. They might go through either a Urei 1176 or a vari-mu (or nothing at all) and usually through either a neve 1073 preamp (though occasionally a chandler germanium or an API) for a particular iron/transfo sound. I may even put them through a/d of the cranesong heddd so I can add a bit of tape emulation on the way in. As ever, YMMV.