Why become a member? ×

Boss TU2: Digital or Analog?

cLepto-bass

In my apparent never ending quest for a suitable power supply for my board, I now have a hopefully straight forward question regarding the trusty Boss TU2. Basically is it a digital or analog pedal?

This probably a really daft question but I can't seem to find a confirmed answer.

I've been using a TU2 for about 15 years now, but unfortunately I have no idea whether it is analogue or digital.
However, I've never had any issues (noise, interference etc) when powering it using either a battery, dedicated power supply or my Fuel Tank Junior.
In fact, a battery seems to last forever in there so maybe it's analogue after all?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507801280' post='3388006']
It doesn't matter at the end of the day - you can get the mA rating from the manual, and test manually in a daisy chain to see if it creates noise when sharing power with other pedals. Those are the only two things that are important!
[/quote]

Amen to that brother :lol:

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507801280' post='3388006']
It doesn't matter at the end of the day - you can get the mA rating from the manual, and test manually in a daisy chain to see if it creates noise when sharing power with other pedals. Those are the only two things that are important!
[/quote] well that, voltage and polarity (it'll be 9v and center -ve though, so no worries there.)

TU-2 has a power draw of 55mA, I think I'm right in saying it can also supply 200mA via its power output on the rear (so you can daisy chain other pedals).
I've used them for probably 15 years, most recently the TU-3W, and never had any issues with however I power them, nor where in the chain they sit.
Compare that with the TC Nano tuner, that really doesn't like being next to a drive pedal, noise when daisy-chained in bypass and when on.
Love the TC tuners in general (if they're isolated), but you can't beat the Boss ones for almost every situation!

Si

Cheers for all the input.

The original question was less about mA specifications and more in reference to the fact that on the Cioks site it recommends not using a spliter cable from one output to power a combination of a digital and analog pedal. The TU2 would have to be paired (daisy chained) along side a Styrmon Timeline, therefore I just wanted to know if this would or would not be suitable.

Thoughts?

They only recommend that because some digital pedals leak noise into the power line that gets picked up by other pedals.

Some, but not all. EHX, Digitech and Zoom are notorious for it, but Mooer and TC have pretty good filtering in my experience and are fine sharing power. Like I said, experimentation is the way!
You don't get it of jail free by putting two of these noisy digital pedals on the same splitter either. Especially as many now like TC and Strymon have an analog dry through signal path.

It's not just digital ones you want to watch out for, any pedals that double to 18V internally might need isolating too, as I found to my dismay with the RMI Basswitch compressor.

Edited by dannybuoy