Why become a member? ×

Advice please? Calling all fellow fenderites and others of course

foxthebiker

How about this then....

I may get the opportunity of buying the late Patrick Waite's of Musical Youth's Fender Precision.

Thing is, how much would you pay for it?

I have little info yet except:

It comes complete with a metal ally flight case
Bridge ashtray

It's a 70's Precision in what looks like custom shop red (as played in "pass the dutchie on the left hand side) here: [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6V3Ic72nE"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6V3Ic72nE[/url]

It has a fair amount of gig damage to it, plenty of cigarette burns on the neck and plenty of road damage to the body. The neck has a kink at the nut which may truss out, not sure. The board is a rosewood and the frets have the appropriate amount of wear on them for the year and usage. The pickguard has a small break in it under the jack plug and that piece is missing.

I haven't played it as my friend needs to prep it. the tuners have some main shaft nuts missing (2).

This is a tough one, I like it, it's a no brainer that it is valuable but what does everybody else think?

I can assure all that it really was Patrick's, I have confirmation on this.

Any of your thoughts would be very appreciated....(I'll try and get some pics soon)
:)

[quote name='foxthebiker' post='324300' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:25 PM']How about this then....

I may get the opportunity of buying the late Patrick Waite's of Musical Youth's Fender Precision.

Thing is, how much would you pay for it?

I have little info yet except:

It comes complete with a metal ally flight case
Bridge ashtray

It's a 70's Precision in what looks like custom shop red (as played in "pass the dutchie on the left hand side) here: [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6V3Ic72nE"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6V3Ic72nE[/url]

It has a fair amount of gig damage to it, plenty of cigarette burns on the neck and plenty of road damage to the body. The neck has a kink at the nut which may truss out, not sure. The board is a rosewood and the frets have the appropriate amount of wear on them for the year and usage. The pickguard has a small break in it under the jack plug and that piece is missing.

I haven't played it as my friend needs to prep it. the tuners have some main shaft nuts missing (2).

This is a tough one, I like it, it's a no brainer that it is valuable but what does everybody else think?

I can assure all that it really was Patrick's, I have confirmation on this.

Any of your thoughts would be very appreciated....(I'll try and get some pics soon)
:)[/quote]

Sounds like a mess. Do you want it to play, or to hang onto for a few years and sell for stupid money on Ebay?

Hi Guys

Really appreciate the comments. Actually on second look I totally agree with you all. I would intend playing it yes so would have to be good to play and yes, also a potential investment as well (eventually) I guess. I will probably make an offer when he has told me what he thinks he wants for it when it's ready. I'll get some pics when he does posted here and if I could ask all your opinion I would be so grateful.

Thanks all.....again....

Your description of it makes it sound like a bit of a wrecker!

That said, a plug in and play will help you to form a better opinion. If that option doesn't exist, walk away.
If it plays/ sounds like a dream, then [i]maybe[/i].

I own an 2 instruments which have tenuous connections with bassists;

A Billy Sheehan 10th anniversary Signature Yamaha Attitude (1 of 300).
A Musicman Stingray 5 fretless allegedly owned by Boz Burrell.

Neither were purchased for that reason. They're both excellent basses in perfect condition and were sensibly priced.

Basses like this are possibly worth a few quid more to the fans of the players that used to own them. To everyone else this just sounds like a slightly tatty Precision.

[i]If it was me[/i]...........I'd be buying an old Precision because I liked how it played/sounded/looked. I'm not precious about damage to any of my basses as long as they tick the aforementioned boxes, so dings and scrapes are not an issue to me if I like the instrument and the price reflects the condition.

At the end of the day, Musical Youth are not one of the great names from musical history to me, so I wouldn't expect the bass to be marked up because of its history.

However, if you [i]are[/i] a fan, and you like the bass, go for it, be happy. Just don't get starry eyed and ripped off.