Why become a member? ×

Warmoth

rasher80

Having decided that i might have to abandon my quest for a Fender Japan bass, and from getting some good advice from members of this board, i'm now considering doing a build my own project using Warmoth.

What i want to do is have a 54 P bass body with the matching neck, but with the Jazz profile at the nut. The trouble is i'm a bit thick when it comes to guitars, and once i have all the pieces the eye can see, such as tuners, nut, knobs, control plate, bridge, scratchplate and pickup - then i have no idea about the innards. I wouldn't be able to do the work myself cos i'm useless, so i was going to enlist the help of a local luthier to put it all together. I saw a Lindy Fralin pickup which they will overwind to give the sound a bit more oomph!

I just need it to not be overly expensive, or there's no point is there? I'm not concerned about re-sale value, as being a left hander there's by and large no such thing sadly!

So is this a worthwhile option or should i just forget it?

[quote name='rasher80' post='323300' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:29 AM']Having decided that i might have to abandon my quest for a Fender Japan bass, and from getting some good advice from members of this board, i'm now considering doing a build my own project using Warmoth.

What i want to do is have a 54 P bass body with the matching neck, but with the Jazz profile at the nut. The trouble is i'm a bit thick when it comes to guitars, and once i have all the pieces the eye can see, such as tuners, nut, knobs, control plate, bridge, scratchplate and pickup - then i have no idea about the innards. I wouldn't be able to do the work myself cos i'm useless, so i was going to enlist the help of a local luthier to put it all together. I saw a Lindy Fralin pickup which they will overwind to give the sound a bit more oomph!

I just need it to not be overly expensive, or there's no point is there? I'm not concerned about re-sale value, as being a left hander there's by and large no such thing sadly!

So is this a worthwhile option or should i just forget it?[/quote]

The 'innards' of a P bass are pretty basic. all you have to wire up are 2 potentiometers, or pots as their known, one for volume and one for tone and a jack socket. Loads of wiring schematics on the net for P's...it's pretty easy stuff, especially if you have experience with a soldering iron, if not then it's an ideal project to give you some experience.

Check out [url="http://www.has-sound.com/"]http://www.has-sound.com/[/url] i have brought a few things from them, very good service. If you go the active route many preamps now come with solder less connections for the pickups, EAST and AUDERE are two which spring to mind, as mentioned basses are pretty simple to wire up as long as you can solder you cant go far wrong. As for warmoth you can end up with a very good bass which is what you want but be warned it will cost more than you think and may not have a good resale value. Personally i can't wait to build another.

[quote name='rasher80' post='323300' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:29 AM']Having decided that i might have to abandon my quest for a Fender Japan bass, and from getting some good advice from members of this board, i'm now considering doing a build my own project using Warmoth.

So is this a worthwhile option or should i just forget it?[/quote]

What is "overly expensive"? If you mean "more than a Fender Japan", it probably will be. Not as cost effective to import from USA as it was at the start of the year, unfortunately. Not forgetting that time is money, your time spent building it.