Why become a member? ×

Trace V6 and an 8ohm cab?

JayX

I've finally got my v6 and was happy that I wouldn't be able to run it through my 8ohm cabs separately due to it only having a 2ohm/4ohm switch, but then I read the v8 manual which says:

[quote]The OUTPUT IMPEDANCE switch allows the power stage to be set to drive either
2 or 4Ωloads as indicated.
These ratings are the preferred nominal impedance speaker loads that should be
connected. However, it is OK to drive slightlyhigher value loads, i.e. driving an 8Ω
cabinet with the 4Ωsetting, without too much perceived difference in power transfer.[/quote]

That seems to indicate I would be OK running a single 8ohm cab on it.. is this the same for the v6? does anyone have a v6 manual cos it's absent on the TE website. Cheers.

[quote name='MythSte' post='321875' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:40 PM']As far as im aware, you could quite easily bias the tubes a little colder (forgive the poor terminology, i dont [i]really[/i] know what im on about) as the Trace V heads have that lovely bias trim on the back.[/quote]

Set the bias too low and it will sound lifeless. Best to set the bias where it should be and take the hit that you are running an non ideal cab. Don't worry about it.

[quote name='MythSte' post='321875' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:40 PM']As far as im aware, you could quite easily bias the tubes a little colder (forgive the poor terminology, i dont [i]really[/i] know what im on about) as the Trace V heads have that lovely bias trim on the back.[/quote]

Not many have this feature actually, I think it was only the newer V4 and V8's.

ped

i wouldn't mess around with the bias if you don't know what your doing

By doubling the impedance on one side of the output transformer (in going from 4 to 8 ohms) you will also double the impedance on the side the valves see...all of which means that LESS current will actually flow through them, not more.

The power transfer characteristics will not be ideal and you may end up with more power reflected back internally, but honestly, it'll be fine in these circumstances. Also, don't play with the biasing.

Just gives you a reason to buy another cab! :)

Thanks for the advice guys.. I will be buying a new cab in the New Year (so expect a thread for advice!) but it's nice to know I can have a few practices with my current cab before then, as well as cab share at gigs when we're playing again.