Why become a member? ×

Spectracomp settings for pick players.

dave_bass5

Im sure this has been covered somewhere but i cant quite find what im looking for.

Ive just the above pedal (yeah, yet another comp) as an always on effect. Im hoping to use it to even out my pick playing and add a bit of fullness to the upper stings. Just playing the standard covers so i dont need a specific tone out of it, i just need more presence.

Ive read loads of reviews and loved Dan's video about editing this pedal, but i must admit im at a loss as far as what best to tweak to get the above. I also cant use it through my rig at home, so any testing would be with headphones which isnt going to be ideal (all the patches sound good to me doing it this way).

So im just asking for recommendations based on the existing tone print patches that would be most suitable as a starting block.

Cheers for any pointers. i think this one will be a keeper.

I not much of a tweaker, so I don't use the editor, just the tone prints. So far I've found Nathan East's toneprint 'Captain East' to be a really good all rounder, both with pick and fingers. It's quite different depending on where the knob is set, but approx 11 o'clock suits me fine. In fact I've found that in addition to the compression, the East toneprint has a really nice clean 'preamp' sound - quite suprising.

In would be a good starting point for any tweaking you wanted to do from there.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1502400750' post='3351272']
Cheers, ill give that a try. It does seem like nearly all the Tone print patches are for slap bass. I can understand how useful compression is for that style, but even so.....
[/quote]

I'll be interested in how you get on, keep us posted.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1502404810' post='3351300']
Do it!
[/quote]

I'll give it a go tomorrow - I have a setting which might do the trick, or at least a nice place to start. One of my presets, if I can remember which has a bias towards the low mids and a different threshold for slap and pick attack on the top end. I use it with bright basses to balance the tone a bit.

I love the SC. it's a superb pedal and the only thing I reviewed that got 5 stars. A couple of items got really close, but SC just blew my mind when you dig deep.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1502386784' post='3351163']

l've just the above pedal (yeah, yet another comp) as an always on effect. Im hoping to use it to even out my pick playing and add a bit of fullness to the upper stings. Just playing the standard covers so i dont need a specific tone out of it, i just need more presence.

So im just asking for recommendations based on the existing tone print patches that would be most suitable as a starting block.

Cheers for any pointers. i think this one will be a keeper.
[/quote]

Try giving the Muscle Comp tone print a go, that was created by a pick player (can't remember his name at the minute). Although I'm primarily a finger player these days it's my favourite tone print, I find it punchy and even across all strings.

It does have a boost to the high end frequencies which will help accent the pick attack, if that's what you're looking for, but I prefer to eq it back out and it gives me a deep and even tone across the fretboard. Other than backing off the high end a touch my eq is usually flat as you need those upper mids to help make the higher strings sit in the mix.

Thanks for the replies.

I went through all the Tone prints last night (still only on headphones) and was amazed at how different they made my P bass sound. Ive never had a Comp this diverse before. Funnily enough i ended up preferring the default settings, although l liked aspects of some of the others.

I did noticed the Muscle comps’ author was a pick player but i felt that tone a was a bit agreesive in the top end. To be honest all seem to be good starting points. I’m not really looking ot accent the pick attract, i dont really like that tone, but ot can be useful for some songs.

Dan, every time i look at one of your video reviews it costs me money lol. It would be good if you do manage to get a screen shot up but only when you get the time. I sort of understand what most the parameters do, but its the interaction between them that bafffle me. Too many options to keep playing with. I dont think ive touched the knob on the pedal much.

I did have one big issue last night. I made a few adjustments and clicked save to pedal. Once the tone had been sent i got a very loud screeching sound that almost blew my head off. I had to reset the pedal to get rid of it. Looks like it was just a one off though.

I think this will be a keeper, it seems to do subtle well enough. it wil just sit on the amp always on.

I'm not a big fan of aggressively bright high frequencies on bass either but I found that once the added treble from the Muscle Comp tone print is dialled back out again, you're left with a great punchy tone that helps to keep everything even with the band. I also backed off the horn in my cab too to help tame it. This isn't a problem for me as the Spectracomp is on all night and I don't change the tone print, but obviously it could become a faff if you plan to switch the pedal on and off as you might need to change eq settings too.

Yeah, i must admit the Muscle tone print is growing on me. Think ill stick with it for the first rehearsal.

Ive been very confused about ther Tone print software. It’s been bugging me how the tone is changing on its own when using the software, and it took me a while to figure out the software resets the pedal when you switch to the editior from a tone tone print made by the famous bass players. I had been sending the various tone prints to the pedal and that worked fine, but when i go in ot the editior it defaults to a basic tone. After sone searching I found out why it does this, but its a silly limitation IMO, as the work around seems easy enough to do so you can edit the tone prints.

Like you i will just turn this on when i start playing and leave it like that all night. Don’t plan on changing anything during a gig. I doubt i would hear much change anyway.