Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM100 - downsizing my cab

goonerjoe

So i'm looking to downsize my cab. I currently have an Ashdown CTM100, with OTB500 as a backup, played through an Ampeg 410HLF. The CTM100 isn't that heavy (the tone is worth the bulk) but the Ampeg is a pain in the backside when it comes to stairs/alleyways and although it's got castors the thing can be awkward to wheel about because it sits quite low compared to a taller cab. AND it's tough to fit in the back of my Skoda Fabia.

So I want to go with a light, one cab solution. I'm thinking a BF Super Compact (on it's side for the CTM, upright for the OTB) would fit the bill nicely. I've never used a BF cab but they seem to have a good rep on here.

My question - has anyone played either of these amps through a super compact? Will it be loud enough/sound awesome (i play in punk/rock bands mainly so I have to compete with loud drummers) Are there any other cabs I should consider? Or should I just get a bigger car/muscles?

Cheers

I have owned 2 barefaced super compacts & a super 12 cab , They are good cabs . I also use Ashdown heads & for me I preferred the Ashdown cabs for my rock plectrum style . I currently use 1x12" Rootmaster cabs with Sica drivers & a ABM 4x8 cab with Sica Drivers . The 1x12" are about 28lbs & the 4x8" is about 40lbs .

BF should be fine, though if you want crisp highs look at one of their range that has a tweeter. Even their biggest cab, the Big Twin 2 is an easy lift. Other than that the Ashdown Rootmaster cabs are good, they now do a 410 in this range and they are nice and light/portable, I have the 4ohm version and it`s a great cab.