Why become a member? ×

Is this body beyond saving?

BassTool

Got this given recently and wondered if you clever builders could say if it is beyond redemption.
Old Ibanez Blazer, unusual cherry wine colour over a beautiful figured lump of maybe Ash?
I was thinking of stripping it back to reveal the grain and leave it natural, but then again it looks like it's just too far gone in my eyes..

Any input I'd be grateful.

;)

If this can be repaired I'm pretty sure yours can:

Check the thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/283510-thegreeks-mystery-bass-rebuild/"]http://basschat.co.u...y-bass-rebuild/[/url]

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1502041114' post='3348915']
If this can be repaired I'm pretty sure yours can:

Check the thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/283510-thegreeks-mystery-bass-rebuild/"]http://basschat.co.u...y-bass-rebuild/[/url]
[/quote]

WOW!! Incredible transformation! What a bass!

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1502041435' post='3348919']
I'm wondering if the body was built from multiple laminations to begin with, or it has split along grain lines. Odd that the top and sides are splitting.
[/quote]

That is what has me wondering - it looks like a slab, but could be a face and back laminated together?

I have a bit of a reputation for tackling stuff other folk wouldn't bother with but honestly...if it was mine I wouldn't be trying to repair the body. I have no idea why the wood would do that - particularly if as you say it isn't water damage - but what is certain is that there is something fundamental that is going wrong and, even if you glued it all back up, it will probably carry on splitting over time and possibly in places where the structural integrity is critical.

The options are probably:[list]
[*]sell the neck and pickups (has it got the original tuners?) separately
[*]keep your eye out for a donor (pref a cheap 'project' one) with an OK body and swop the good bits
[*]get a replacement body made for it
[/list]
For the hell of it, as long as you manage your expectations, you could just fill the main crack with Titebond and clamp it, and then at least you can see if the bridge holds in place for you to actually play it - but, if it was me, I wouldn't put in the time to try any kind of refinish on the existing body.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1502047686' post='3348992']
I wonder if it went through a lot of thermal cycles, either seasonally or it was kept near a boiler or something?
[/quote]

My thoughts too. To answer the earlier question, this will not have been a laminated body - it will be a 3-part or so solid construction. It is very unusual for the grain of properly aged wood (which Ibanez will have used) to split so comprehensively without either/or impact/heat/moisture being involved...

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1502047686' post='3348992']

I wonder if it went through a lot of thermal cycles, either seasonally or it was kept near a boiler or something?
[/quote]

Exactly that - its been in an unheated empty house for over ten years....and the man whose expertise I was about to seek has just replied below!

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1502046606' post='3348982']
I have a bit of a reputation for tackling stuff other folk wouldn't bother with but honestly...if it was mine I wouldn't be trying to repair the body. I have no idea why the wood would do that - particularly if as you say it isn't water damage - but what is certain is that there is something fundamental that is going wrong and, even if you glued it all back up, it will probably carry on splitting over time and possibly in places where the structural integrity is critical.

The options are probably:[list]
[*]sell the neck and pickups (has it got the original tuners?) separately
[*]keep your eye out for a donor (pref a cheap 'project' one) with an OK body and swop the good bits
[*]get a replacement body made for it
[/list]
For the hell of it, as long as you manage your expectations, you could just fill the main crack with Titebond and clamp it, and then at least you can see if the bridge holds in place for you to actually play it - but, if it was me, I wouldn't put in the time to try any kind of refinish on the existing body.
[/quote]

I was hoping you would chip in Andy! After following a lot of your builds on here, that is the expert advice I was after.

All the other parts are fine, so I'll use it as a project at some point and marry a body up.

Thanks for the advice ;)

Might make for an interesting hybrid/mashup to build it up with a nice Precision body - not 100% sure but I think the neck should fit a P pocket.

Shame about the original body - lovely finish, don't remember seeing that on a Blazer before.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1502140876' post='3349612']
Might make for an interesting hybrid/mashup to build it up with a nice Precision body - not 100% sure but I think the neck should fit a P pocket.
Shame about the original body - lovely finish, don't remember seeing that on a Blazer before.
[/quote]
Yes that's certainly one of the options, the early Blazers could give Precisions a run for their money according to some ;) a P body would go well, meant to say that the neck is really nice too, and in very good condition!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1502141220' post='3349614']
Would a luthier made body be an option? Use the original as a template?
[/quote]

The photos don't really do it justice - it is a beautiful lump of whatever it is 😁 I have not seen that particular see through finish or that wine colour on any Blazer either.
A luthier body would guarantee a perfect fit to the neck, and also options to change pickup config (I'm thinking adding a Jazz pup at bridge) and preamp space in cavity...or I may just have a go myself, after all - I'd never be short of decent advice on here 😊

Thanks all ;)

Edited by BassTool

[quote name='BassTool' timestamp='1502277974' post='3350391']
Yes that's certainly one of the options, the early Blazers could give Precisions a run for their money according to some ;) a P body would go well, meant to say that the neck is really nice too, and in very good condition!
[/quote]
Quite right about Blazers & early 80s Ibanez in general - this bass would've been made by the Fujigen factory at the same time they were making JV Squiers. I have a Mk1 Blazer & RS924 Roadster from this era - ridiculously good basses.

Would love to see this rebuilt with something like an MIJ Aerodyne body - love the look of a bound P body...

[url="https://postimg.org/image/y5vaz1u0p/"][/url]