Why become a member? ×

Combo with aux in/headphones or head + cab?

Westenra

So my jam buddy is moving away which makes my medium sized rig a bit wasted as for the foreseeable future I will just be playing at home, which is a new build flat with paper for walls....

As a result I'm looking at getting a little combo which I can use till someone complains about the noise and then switch to headphones. Been looking at the GK MB112, Markbass 121, TC BG250, even an Ampeg B100R (which i now regret selling), any others worth checking out? If they don't have headphones out it isn't a deal breaker as I could just get a little mixer but it would mean disconnected the speakers. Same as aux in for a metronome as I could just use line in.

I like a warm tone, play finger style only on a passive bass (Yamaha BB424x), and not ruling out a head/cab set up either, maybe a Gk MB200.

Edited by Westenra

I've got an Ashdown Perfect 10 (30 watt combo) and an Ashdown Five-Fifteen MiniRig (100 watt head & cab) which both have a headphone socket, and an aux-in for plugging in an mp3 player (I use my Tascam BT-2) to play along with stuff.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1501861971' post='3347892']
The TC BG250 is perfect for your use case I'd say.
[/quote]

No where local stocks them yet. Tried a Fender Rumble 100 over the weekend and was surprised at the nice sound, preferred it over the GK MB200. They didn't have any of the GK combos in though but their other store stocks Markbass so I might make the trip.

PJB big head?

Fits in your pocket.

Has an aux input and a bass input with aux and bass volume controls plus a bit of EQ and a headphone (or line) output.

You can use it as a PC sound card (Analogue to USB going inwards and USB to sound coming out) and even as the pre-amp into a powered speaker (or the HiFi).

It's a swiss army knife of (quiet) bass playing. But lacks an actual speaker itself ... and some might find the sound a bit "polite".

Use mine late at night and in hotels for playing along to iReal Pro - admittedly it will never replace the joy of a good loud TWANG through a proper amplifier.