Why become a member? ×

Q-Tron v. Mu-Tron III

The Funk

I've used both, and needless to say, it's the Mu-Tron that I still own. I didn't get to do a direct comparison, but I sold my Q-Tron after getting a Maxon AF-9, and then sold the AF-9 (even though I LOVED it) because I got the Mu-Tron.

Just spend a little extra cash on the real thing instead of trying to get imitations of it.

Just checking your thoughts guys. The Mu-Tron creator (Mike something or other) recommended either finding a vintage Mu-Tron or getting a Q-Tron (which he designed for E-H).

I understand that his recommendation for the Q-Tron might be based on considerations other than sound.

I tried the DOD FX25 as you know Steve, I had yours, but I couldn't get on with it. I can't afford Boutique level stuff either, but I just need a giggable filter to use on a couple of songs, nothing fancy, but something with a nice useable [i]downward[/i] wah. Would the MXR do that do you reckon? Or maybe a Maxon AF9?

Edited by Rayman

• 8 months later...

[quote name='The Funk' post='174970' date='Apr 12 2008, 03:04 AM']Apologies in advance for dragging up a very old thread but I just received a vintage Mu-tron III in the post yesterday morning courtesy of TimmyC.

All I can say is bloody hell, that is the sound I have been dreaming of for years. Amazing.[/quote]

I recently acquired A second Mutron III - I was going to sell it on, but I decided to try running one of them with the filter going down, into the next one going up...Let's just say I'm looking for a board that can accomodate 2 Mutrons :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='175032' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:10 AM']off topic, but how is your EBS wah one??[/quote]

Very good wah pedal. Too smooth (and bassy) for some people but I think it's how a bass wah should sound.

If you need a wah with more bite then I'd recommend the Snarlin' Dogs Bootzilla wah - crap on all settings but one, which happens to be absolutely superb.