Why become a member? ×

Really quick key changes

I've just been given my batch of songs to learn for big charity gig I take part in every year. I have no say in the material or who I'm playing with as that is all sorted out by the musical director. Good job too really as it's a huge undertaking and with four different band line-up's in the show, it's a right headache to organise. It really is great fun as it's never the same line-up and I kind of like being steered towards playing stuff I wouldn't normally do.

The purpose of the post was just to mention one song in particular, but I may as well give you the whole set:

Band A

Cake by the Ocean
Skin
Galway Girl
Rude

Wake Up Boo
A Design For Life
Don’t Look Back in Anger
Common People

Band B

24K Magic
The Other Side
Play That Song
Pretty Young Thing

Beauty and The Beast (duet)
All That Jazz
Diamonds Are Forever
We Go Together
+1 more song to be added

Band C

Lucille
Runaround Sue
Shake, Rattle & Roll
Jailhouse Rock

Queen of The Night
Ain't No Other Man
Crazy in Love
It's Raining Men

Encore Band

Roll Over Beethoven
Freedom
Rocking All Over The World

So, I'm playing bass for Band B. I've just learnt We Go Together and it changes key after four bars! It never goes back to that opening key after those 4 seconds. Simple tune though and fun to play.

P.S. Who is Jason Derulo?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1497745801' post='3320371']
All That Jazz and Diamonds Are Forever - an eclectic set.
[/quote]

Yes, the singer for the second half of Band B is a burlesque performer and I anticipate she will throw herself into the All That Jazz with gusto. Strangely, the link I was sent for that track had no 'bass' in it per se. Apparently I'm playing the tuba score. Diamonds is sorted already. Lovely tune.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1497760718' post='3320390']
sounds like a lot of fun and good on you for donating your time and abilities for charity, good karma
[/quote]

Thanks. It really is fun. Hard work as there will be limited rehearsal time, but really good to do.

We struck it lucky last year and a mystery audience member donated £5,000 after seeing the show. I hope he/she comes back this year 😀

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/14753061.Mystery_donor_ploughs___5_000_into_cancer_fundraiser/

See the original We Go Together in the film ( Grease ) . I guess the film director wanted some extra music at the start of the song to give the actors time to run into place and asked for something with added lift . The old up-a-tone trick works neatly .

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1497769552' post='3320406']
See the original We Go Together in the film ( Grease ) . I guess the film director wanted some extra music at the start of the song to give the actors time to run into place and asked for something with added lift . The old up-a-tone trick works neatly .
[/quote]

Yes, you're probably quite right. I haven't watched the film for a while. Show tunes do quirky things for a number of reasons.

I've just mapped out the bass part to 24K Magic. That's a load of fun to play as well. Apparently we're using this version as a template....

http://youtu.be/KkupLU5kdTc

....which does things a bit differently from the studio version. I don't think Jamareo played on the studio version as it was all synth, but I really love his playing on this. Some great little fills against the drums too.