Why become a member? ×

2x10" self build - finished!

Protium

I built a [i]huge[/i] 210 cab out of 3/4" MDF about 3 years ago, and due to being stored in a sh*t barn practice space the MDF has started to split...
About a week ago I picked up some 12mm ply to make a compact 2x10" + tweeter using the Eminence Beta 10's out of the old cab.
So far I've built it up to 5 sides (front baffle missing) with all the internal bracing done and cut the holes for handles/speakers/ports.

Pics tomorrow :)

Edited by Protium

It's not much to look at atm (and had to use my camera phone sorry), rounded all the corners with the router earlier. I'm now completely covered in sawdust but the box looks 1000 times better than with bashed square edges :)

[attachment=15444:DSC00607.JPG]
[attachment=15445:DSC00608.JPG]

Forgot to mention the dimensions: 23" x 16" x 16"

Edited by Protium

Cheers, I'm hoping to have it finished over the weekend :)

It's styled a little around my ABM410 :huh: TBH the tweeter couldn't have gone anywhere else without making the box bigger and on the ABM only the outside of the handles is the circular part - inside the cab it's actually just a square recess. The handles I have for this are circular.

And cutting circles with a router as it spews dust into your face is one of the most difficult things ever :huh:

Tidy work! I'd have intuitively done a bit more bracing but I think you'll be fine as the Beta 10s won't be creating the huge internal pressures my cabs have to deal with. Don't skimp on the damping - I'm amazed how many production cabs have just a layer of insulation on the back wall and nothing anywhere else! So does it weigh half as much as the old cab?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='319147' date='Oct 31 2008, 03:53 PM']Tidy work! I'd have intuitively done a bit more bracing but I think you'll be fine as the Beta 10s won't be creating the huge internal pressures my cabs have to deal with. Don't skimp on the damping - I'm amazed how many production cabs have just a layer of insulation on the back wall and nothing anywhere else! So does it weigh half as much as the old cab?

Alex[/quote]

Cheers matey, still thinking of where to put some more batons - probably across the front and back panels. What do you reckon?

I've got a load of wadding here to be stuck in :) The ABM doesn't even have any on the back wall :huh:

Guestimating it'll weigh 15-18kg once finished, the old one is probably 35kg :huh:

Edited by Protium

Ideally you'd aim for there to be no more than an 8" unbraced span anywhere on the cabinet, but your handle placement and your current braces preclude that without tons of bracing. A front to back brace roughly between the centre of the baffle and back will make a big difference though.

When you add the damping make sure it doesn't block the port airflow or insulate the driver frames (which are part of the cooling mechanism). Stick some in your ABM whilst you're at it!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='319228' date='Oct 31 2008, 05:41 PM']Ideally you'd aim for there to be no more than an 8" unbraced span anywhere on the cabinet, but your handle placement and your current braces preclude that without tons of bracing. A front to back brace roughly between the centre of the baffle and back will make a big difference though.

When you add the damping make sure it doesn't block the port airflow or insulate the driver frames (which are part of the cooling mechanism). Stick some in your ABM whilst you're at it!

Alex[/quote]

Cheers dude, it's not obvious in the picture but there is a brace between the front and back.

I'm gona do 5 sides and leave the front uninsulated since there's not a massive amount of space left to cover anyway.

Will keep you posted.

Some progress :)

Almost finished painting - got to refinish the top as there is a slight bump in the wood which has raised after the first round of painting and is being a persistant little bugger even after sanding it down (btw I'm using Blue Aran's "Tuff Cab" paint)

Got the handles/ports/speakon plate on and silicon sealed, 4 bottom corners on and started with the acoustic padding this evening.

[b]Pictures[/b]
Baffle painted:
[attachment=15702:DSC00614.JPG]
Box painted:
[attachment=15703:DSC00616.JPG]
Parts attached:
[attachment=15704:DSC00617.JPG]
Some close-ups:
[attachment=15705:DSC00618.JPG][attachment=15707:DSC00619.JPG]

Also sorted out a grille, more photos soon :huh:

Just got in from padding inside, gluing the front baffle (using 20 screws, is that overkill? :huh:) and cutting the grille to the right size.
Need to pick up some wood tomorrow to make the border for the grille to be fixed to, hopefully the model/hobby shop will have something suitable. SO CLOSE TO FINISHING! I really need it ready for Monday...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='324468' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:27 PM']Nice router work - looking smart!

Alex[/quote]

Thanks, I am a novice with the router :) Not really used it for much before this project, but it was so easy to round the edges with a round-over + bearing and they've come out really well. I must say it's a good job them circles didn't need to be perfect :huh:

Edited by Protium

[quote name='Prosebass' post='324891' date='Nov 8 2008, 05:53 PM']Good work mate
The side handles are excellent where did you source them from ?
I was looking at using an Eminence 6" 300 watt driver for a little practice amp.

Looking forward to the sound review. What amp will you be driving them with ?[/quote]

The handles are from Blue Aran: [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=ADH34062&product=Case!fslash!Speaker_Plastic_Bar_Handle!comma!_round_cutout&browsemode=category"]clicky[/url].

What sized enclosure are you thinking of building? Personally I'd go for an 8" or 10" speaker.

Gona be using the Ashdown ABM head (which weighs more than the cab :huh:). Not had time to play through it much apart from a volume test, but it's nice and loud and nothing has snapped, crackled or popped :huh:

[quote name='Protium' post='324923' date='Nov 8 2008, 06:40 PM']Thanks :)

The handles are from Blue Aran: [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=ADH34062&product=Case!fslash!Speaker_Plastic_Bar_Handle!comma!_round_cutout&browsemode=category"]clicky[/url].

What sized enclosure are you thinking of building? Personally I'd go for an 8" or 10" speaker.

Gona be using the Ashdown ABM head (which weighs more than the cab :huh:). Not had time to play through it much apart from a volume test, but it's nice and loud and nothing has snapped, crackled or popped :huh:[/quote]

What a bargain they are at that price, I have bookmarked them straightaway.
I am using a 6" as I am after building a really small amp (10" cube) I am experimenting with a small 40 watt amp module and pre-amp unit that were £25.00 on ebay. The amp will have just a volume as I mean to use it just in the front room with my Korg ampworks. The other half hates having my gear in the front room so I think a 10" cube will just about sneak in. I am definitely putting one of those handles on the top of it, good link...cheers

[quote name='Prosebass' post='324997' date='Nov 8 2008, 09:26 PM']What a bargain they are at that price, I have bookmarked them straightaway.
I am using a 6" as I am after building a really small amp (10" cube) I am experimenting with a small 40 watt amp module and pre-amp unit that were £25.00 on ebay. The amp will have just a volume as I mean to use it just in the front room with my Korg ampworks. The other half hates having my gear in the front room so I think a 10" cube will just about sneak in. I am definitely putting one of those handles on the top of it, good link...cheers[/quote]

Cool, I think one handle on the top will look really good :)
Blue Aran don't sell screws that will fit them but I picked some self-tapping ones up with the proper sized countersunk head from a local hardware store @ 60p for 10. If you have trouble finding any, give me a shout.
Do you have a link for the amp module? I'd like to try something similar.
Cheers

[quote name='Protium' post='324876' date='Nov 8 2008, 05:11 PM']More progress today:
[attachment=15728:DSC00622.JPG]
[attachment=15729:DSC00623.JPG]

Proper camera pictures tomorrow :)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
Very Professional sir!
are the red and green ones prototypes?