Why become a member? ×

Small pedalboard woes

Dood

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1497269465' post='3316892']
I'd have taken your original advice on the HB PJ too if it weren't for the big hungry Digitech on the board too, though I hadn't mentioned that at the time.
[/quote]

Yes, I recon looking at your requirements that the cheap chinese power supply would work fine - it has 2 isolated 9/12/18v at 1A supplies, and then 6 300ma 9v supplies - that would cover everything would it not?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497516460' post='3318740']
Yes, I recon looking at your requirements that the cheap chinese power supply would work fine - it has 2 isolated 9/12/18v at 1A supplies, and then 6 300ma 9v supplies - that would cover everything would it not?
[/quote]

It certainly looks like it might! Do you have a link to it my good man? :)

The seller I got it from doesn't seem to be doing any any more, and they seem to have gone up a few quid, but this is the type it was

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301907679302

that is just one of the links I found, not a recomendation of seller - several people doing it around the £50 mark. Comes with the usual collection of cables, and is bolted to the bottom of my pedaltrain. Took a while working out the connections as I had some that needed isolation and some that needed high power (and a VoiceLive that needed 12V) but has been working well for quite a few gigs now.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497519012' post='3318783']
The seller I got it from doesn't seem to be doing any any more, and they seem to have gone up a few quid, but this is the type it was

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301907679302"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301907679302[/url]

that is just one of the links I found, not a recomendation of seller - several people doing it around the £50 mark. Comes with the usual collection of cables, and is bolted to the bottom of my pedaltrain. Took a while working out the connections as I had some that needed isolation and some that needed high power (and a VoiceLive that needed 12V) but has been working well for quite a few gigs now.
[/quote]

Thank you a huge amount. I'm gonna take a punt on it based on how you ahem got on and the reviews I've read about these which all look favourable for me needs. I'd have loved the Ojai for sure, but cash is a constraint. So, we shall see how we get on with this one! I will report back for everyone after it has arrived and been taken for a test drive!

Cheers :) :) :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1497531971' post='3318917']
I will report back for everyone after it has arrived and been taken for a test drive!
[/quote]

Please do; I have been trying to find 'the' power supply for ages so have been following this crop of threads with interest, and this one seems to tick my boxes.

This is the power supply on the pedal board, with everything powered. Need to retidy the power cables as I have moved stuff around

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/IMG_0761_zps6xgn2zhe.jpg[/IMG]

The AA battery doesn't live there, it is just for scale :D

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497537509' post='3318957']
This is the power supply on the pedal board, with everything powered. Need to retidy the power cables as I have moved stuff around

[/quote]

Tidy! - I also didn't realise the supply was that small! Great. Looking forward to getting all the pedals and supply on one board... even if the one I am using at the moment is home made! (I said I was on a budget ha ha ha!!)

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

Arrived this morning, I've had 5 minutes to plug in and test it. So far it seems that the Digitech and other pedals are playing nicely together! Great! :) Oh and for once, the unit seems smaller than the advertised picture online! :) Much appreciated WoodInBlack!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1498472723' post='3324770']
Arrived this morning, I've had 5 minutes to plug in and test it. So far it seems that the Digitech and other pedals are playing nicely together! Great! :) Oh and for once, the unit seems smaller than the advertised picture online! :) Much appreciated WoodInBlack!
[/quote]

Hmmm... how big is this? I'm looking for something that would fit under my Pedaltrain Nano...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1498485856' post='3324935']
Hmmm... how big is this? I'm looking for something that would fit under my Pedaltrain Nano...
[/quote]

Here's the specs chap :)
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=Georgia, serif]The VITOOS DC8 is the flagship model power supply for effect pedals, with 6 outlets at 9 volts and 2 voltage-adjustable outlets. It is specially designed for those guitarists who have few pedals with different voltage requirements. If you own some pedals using 18v and you may use them at the same time with your other pedals running at 12v and 9v, or even if you want to get more dynamic and sparkle sound at some pedals can be originally running between 5v and 18v just like some Full tone pedals, DC8 is just your choice. (Not all pedals can be used with 12v or 18v, make sure you read through the manual, any damage because of the incorrect connection will not be warranted) The DC8 will drive 8 pedals from the same source, it’s more than a power supply, it’s a power conditioner which supplies a predictable voltage all the time and keeps your pedals in constant performance from one show to another.[/font][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b][size=3]Features:[/size][/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Powers six 9v pedals and two adjustable 9v,12v , 18v all at once without losing any signal intensity.
2) Comes with 8 DC cables to connect your pedals to the DC8.
3) Isolated outputs from each power section and Short Circuit Protection ensures a stable working condition.
4) The LEDs of each 9v OUTLET will light in red to indicate the short-circuited pedal without cutting off other outlets’ power.
5) FCLC (Fold back Current Limiting Circuit) provides ultimate protection against power shortages and overloads. Even at full load, you’ll enjoy the quiet and cool operation of a fully regulated power supply.
6) All ROHS components inside which are stored in a portable, robust and occlusive metal case.
7) Customized DC jacks with long time working life up to 50,000 Times Pull and Plug.
8) Dual color LED, green for power indication and red for short-circuited pedal caution.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b][size=4]Specifications:[/size][/b]
[b]AC to DC adaptor :[/b]
INPUT: AC 100v~240v at 50/60Hz, 2000mA.
OUTPUT: DC 12v, 2000mA.
POLARITY: Positive Barrel and Negative Center.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]DC-8 Power Supply :[/b]
INPUT: DC 12v 2000mA
OUTPUTS: 9v~1500mA (x6), 12v~1000mA,18v~1000mA (by switched on)
LEDs: Blue LED for power light, Red LEDs for short-circuited indicates.
Switch: 3-slide switcher for voltage change among 9v, 12v and 18v[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Color: Black[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Material: Metal[/size][/font][/color]
[b]Size: 14*7*3cm/5.5*2.8*1.2in[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[b]DC Cable :[/b]
8pcs[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=3]one side is L-shape; another is I-shape[/size]
5.5mm x 2.1mm
Positive Barrel & Negative Center. Polarity Plugs[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=3]Package size:19.4*12.8*9.4cm/7.6*5*3.7in[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=3]Package weight:693g[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]Package inculde:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]

1xDC8 Power Supply
1xAC to DC adaptor [b][color=black]([color=red]UK Plug[/color])[/color][/b][color=red] [/color]
8x DC cables[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
User Manual[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1498486122' post='3324942']
Size highlighted, not the 'package size' below.
[/quote]

Thanks! :)

It looks like it just might work? 3cm is just about the clearance I've got to the floor... shame the feet cannot be replaced as I could install bigger ones to be sure... 7cm and L-shaped ends of the cables is plenty to fit between the bars...
I might just order one and see, thank you!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1498497806' post='3325042']
Thanks! :)

It looks like it just might work? 3cm is just about the clearance I've got to the floor... shame the feet cannot be replaced as I could install bigger ones to be sure... 7cm and L-shaped ends of the cables is plenty to fit between the bars...
I might just order one and see, thank you!
[/quote]

No problem! Thank WoodInBlack for pointing this one out. I found some reviews online of the unit; a guy had opened one up and was pretty happy with how they were built, so all good news!

[/quote]

What size Pedaltrain are you running WIB?

THIS is [b]small[/b] pedal board :D:

<- tuner, chorus, compressor, overdrive <-

What more does one need anyway?

Btw it's Pedaltrain Nano, it's powered by single Warwick AC/DC adapter and it neatly fits into MONO Guitar Tick add-on module for MONO hybrid case.

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Great thread - thank you BCers ![/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Earlier, there was mention of the '[/font][/size][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]VITOOS[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000] DC8' power supply, which appeared to be popular with some folks - which unfortunately no longer appears to be available ...[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]From my limited research, I have found an almost identical version - would you believe it ? being sold in the UK under the name FAME DC-8. It's about the compact pedal size. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I've just put in an order for a FAME DC-8 via DV247 Ltd for £53 plus a fiver postage. It is mains powered via a wall wart - and not from a mains plug. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Here is a demo (from earlier this year): - [/color][/font][/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeI72nO3SM

Cheers, Simon.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1499544070' post='3332141']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Great thread - thank you BCers ![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Earlier, there was mention of the '[/font][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]VITOOS[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000] DC8' power supply, which appeared to be popular with some folks - which unfortunately no longer appears to be available ...[/color][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]From my limited research, I have found an almost identical version - would you believe it ? being sold in the UK under the name FAME DC-8. It's about the compact pedal size. [/color][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I've just put in an order for a FAME DC-8 via DV247 Ltd for £53 plus a fiver postage. It is mains powered via a wall wart - and not from a mains plug. [/color][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Here is a demo (from earlier this year): - [/color][/font]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeI72nO3SM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=WaeI72nO3SM[/url]

Cheers, Simon.
[/quote]

It seems to be available here... but it'll probably take 2-3 weeks to arrive:

[url="https://www.tomtop.com/guitar-accessories-483/p-i1296eu.html"]https://www.tomtop.com/guitar-accessories-483/p-i1296eu.html[/url]

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1499544070' post='3332141']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Earlier, there was mention of the '[/font][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][font=Georgia, serif][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]VITOOS[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000] DC8' power supply, which appeared to be popular with some folks - which unfortunately no longer appears to be available ...[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Still plenty available on ebay around the same price, although I am sure anything with the same name that looks the same is the same but rebadged.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1499597601' post='3332398']
Still plenty available on ebay around the same price, although I am sure anything with the same name that looks the same is the same but rebadged.
[/quote]

And mine is going strong - I've even been using it with an adaptor I built to power some 5v USB goods too.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1499707392' post='3333058']
I might try that, I could do with something to hold my ipad charge too..
[/quote]

Let me see if I can find the link to the part I bought, I just needed to solder a plug on the other end...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1499707392' post='3333058']
I might try that, I could do with something to hold my ipad charge too..
[/quote]

Ok, here's what I bought so I could power a device with a Mini USB socket for power:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Buck-Module-8-22V-9V-12V-to-5V-mini-usb-output-1M-power-cable-/221547097296?hash=item33953c6cd0:g:E8QAAOSwEK9UEqwB"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Buck-Module-8-22V-9V-12V-to-5V-mini-usb-output-1M-power-cable-/221547097296?hash=item33953c6cd0:g:E8QAAOSwEK9UEqwB[/url]

I'm trying to find something that will allow connection to an iPad and I'm guessing the only way at the moment would be to use a USB-Lightening cable and something like this:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-to-DC-buck-Converter-8-22v-12v-to-5v-step-down-USB-port-and-mini-usb-output-/221546990721?hash=item33953acc81:g:QCEAAOSw-jhUEmxh"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-to-DC-buck-Converter-8-22v-12v-to-5v-step-down-USB-port-and-mini-usb-output-/221546990721?hash=item33953acc81:g:QCEAAOSw-jhUEmxh[/url]

Or if you are up to a bit of DIY this:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-9V-12V-24V-TO-5V-USB-2A-VEHICLE-CHARGER-STEPDOWN-POWER-MODULE-SANWOOD-POSH-/352035089319?hash=item51f6ed2ba7:g:mGkAAOSwRUhY-GBc"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-9V-12V-24V-TO-5V-USB-2A-VEHICLE-CHARGER-STEPDOWN-POWER-MODULE-SANWOOD-POSH-/352035089319?hash=item51f6ed2ba7:g:mGkAAOSwRUhY-GBc[/url]

All of these I have chosen because they are regulating the input voltage down to a smooth 5V which will also help to cut down noise between devices. (In a similar way to the isolated power supplies that have been discussed elsewhere).

I'm sure there is a more elegant solution for iPad charging from a pedal board power supply, I've literally just searched for 5 minutes.

Dan