Why become a member? ×

Please remove

Freddie75

Just changing the 12 speaker may or may not do the job. If the new speaker isn't happy within the dimensions of the enclosure it might not sound as good as your current speaker.

My guess is that it might not be a volume problem but you're pushing too much low end into these cabs. I'd try a high pass filter, like the SFX Thumpinator, to remove some of the very low frequencies that the Streamliner is undoubtedly trying to generate. That should stop the distortion, clean up your sound and improve your tone.

It's a shame you're not using a TC RH* amp or another amp that goes to 2.67 ohms, then you could just add another RS112, to make 3 cabs. If you're pushing the 112 into distortion I'd also look at an RS210 or another RS212 to pair with your current 212.

When you upgrade your speaker there is always a chance that you will have to enlarge the cutout, especially if you're going from a pressed steel to a cast chassis. Check the hole size in your cab and the cutout sizes in the driver spec sheets to see.

If it's an RS112, bear in mind that the bass driver contains a tweeter, which you will lose if you change it. But if you only use it under another cab, I'd suggest the following.

For a budget option, get the Celestion 12" driver currently for sale in the classified section of this site. Without knowing exactly what's currently in your cab, I don't know how much more you'll get from the Celestion, but it could be enough.

Next up would be the Beyma SM212. This is a really nice upgrade long-coil driver that a few of us already have good experience with. Good value at about £80.

If you want better, look at the Faital 12FH520 - a 600W high-end neo driver and probably the one used in the top-of-the-range Vanderkley. £650 in the Vanderkley but about £160 on its own.

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1497052015' post='3315632'] Looking to upgrade the driver to 300/400 watts (8ohms) so it handles the pairing better. .
[/quote]Higher thermal power capacity doesn't necessarily translate into higher output capacity. In some cases it can be less. If you need more than what the one RS212 will do your best best is to add another RS212, not a 112.

There are two types of people on issues like this, those who want a practical solution to a problem and those who like to tinker and use it as a learning experience. Swapping drivers poses a number of problems, though none of them fatal to the idea. The driver might not be a good match for the cab and you might end up with frequency response of power handling issues if not. A new driver might not match the output of the 212 and contribute little to the sound or it may have a different frequency response and you will lose the character of your TC setup.

If what you really want is plenty of power with your sound intact I'd seriously consider selling the 112 and buying a second 212. Tinkering with the 112 will reduce it's value if you cannot restore it to original condition afterwards. Putting the £160 of the quality driver together with the used price of the cab will take you to the used price of a 212 or thereabouts, you'll end up with a matching look and no compatibility problems.

Ha ha, just read Bills comment :)

Edited by Phil Starr