Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to PedalTrain

radiophonic

I have a Nano+ and it is just a bit too small. I've got pretty much everything I need and can only realistically see me getting maybe one more pedal (Octave) or at least not playing live with more than one additional pedal. I'd need to consider a PSU in that case anyway. I've looked at the larger PT boards and they seem to be way too big for my needs. The closest is a NOVA 18, I think, but even that looks like overkill. Does anyone else make a small lightweight board with a handy carry case? I don't need immediate pedal access to the phase, chorus or delay pedals since I tend to engage/disengage them at the start of a song and then use the LS2 as the controller to get the right combinations. I may have to resort to a piece of MDF!

Here's the signal path

IN -->TU3 (Optional, but the kill switch is handy) --> BXC1 ---> Pork Loin ---> LS2 (IN) ---> OUT
Phase 90 ---> Flashback ---> LS2 (Loop A)
Bass Chorus Deluxe ---> LS2 (LoopB)

Another option is the palmer boards, I've got one and they're great quality with a solid carry bag

https://m.thomann.de/gb/palmer_mi_pedalbay_50s.htm?gclid=CLPyiNnjnNQCFUg6GwodyqwPWg

Edited by mrn1989

Check out a Pedaltrain Metro 20 or 24. Should give you enough space for one more pedal and maybe more. Also, the T Rex Tonetrunk Minor might be a good shout - very similar in form to a Nano Plus but a few inches longer, slightly wider and tall enough to get a much better selection of power supplies under it than any of the PT Nano or Metro series!

On a side note, what patch cables are you using? I use EBS flat cables and the difference between using them vs. Normal (larger) patch cables quickly adds up and can mean you gain space for the extra pedal you need. Will be a ton cheaper than buying a new board too.

Edited by CameronJ

Bass Direct has the Metro 16 at what I believe is a good price. It does offer more options than the Nano, which I also have. Squeezing a Tonehammer pre and Fuel Tank Jnr on the board along with a couple of pedals is much easier.

If I keep the TU3 in the path, the minimum length wise would be the Metro 24, unless I mounted one of the pedals at 90 degrees along the top. That's using mostly warwick low profile patch cables - I need one fatter neutrik one for a long return cable for a loop. I do have a PolyTune clip, but the kill switch is useful for quickly changing basses (fretless/fretted) without annoying the sound guy. However I do it, it looks like either too little space or way too much.

I use a polytune clip too, but like you found myself wanting a killswitch on my Nano+ board. So as a workaround I just bought a micro killswitch pedal and am loving it so far. It has latching and momentary switches in case I ever feel the need to do any stutter effects...unlikely but nice to have the option I guess. I suppose a polytune mini or similar sized tuner would kill two birds with one stone though.

I think what I need is actually the discontinued PT Jr (as per GazWill pic, above). It's still available as a template option on their pedalboard builder page and it looks to be pretty much spot on - enough for one additional pedal on the back row if I stick the Tuner, LS2 and Pork Loin on the the front. I assume it's high enough to stick a PSU under it. One just went from the classifieds for £50 - alas, I've spent all this months discretionary on the Pork Loin (which is a monster pedal - low gain sure doesn't mean polite). I'm sure one will surface at some point.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1496859921' post='3314365']
the PT Jr that I showed a picture of is the model that you can still buy. It's only an inch or so different from the old PT Jr...
[/quote]

Ah - It was the old style one that fits. The new one does look a bit big. I could always buy more pedals of course.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496905960' post='3314549']
If you're looking for an viable alternative, check out Temple Boards ([url="https://templeboards.co.uk"]https://templeboards.co.uk[/url]).

They're great boards, loads of modules that can be added to the end boards to handle power and output. No Velcro!
[/quote]

Very tasty looking. But quite pricey too, esp once you factor in mounting plates and an extra 50 quid for a case. Duo 17 would be north of 150 quid! I think a secondhand PT Jr will answer my needs. Hopefully one will come up in the classifieds in the hear future/

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1496909703' post='3314574']
Very tasty looking. But quite pricey too, esp once you factor in mounting plates and an extra 50 quid for a case. Duo 17 would be north of 150 quid! I think a secondhand PT Jr will answer my needs. Hopefully one will come up in the classifieds in the hear future/
[/quote]

I had two PedalTrains before the TempleBoard...I think everyone goes for PT because it's the easy option, a little like supporting Manchester Utd.

Once in a while, I need to run a two-channel setup and trying to get everything in the right order on the PT board just didn't cut it for me...I was going to get a bigger PT a couple of years back until a guy in New York suggested I investigate the Temple Audio gear. Glad I did. It's well worth the investment. I might add a couple of XLR outputs at some stage, but for now all is good.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496911177' post='3314592']
I had two PedalTrains before the TempleBoard...I think everyone goes for PT because it's the easy option, a little like supporting Manchester Utd.

Once in a while, I need to run a two-channel setup and trying to get everything in the right order on the PT board just didn't cut it for me...I was going to get a bigger PT a couple of years back until a guy in New York suggested I investigate the Temple Audio gear. Glad I did. It's well worth the investment. I might add a couple of XLR outputs at some stage, but for now all is good.

[/quote]

I do like the I/O jacks being part of the board. Very neat. If I had the money, I'd definitely consider it. Unfortunately, children etc...