Why become a member? ×

Power

Charla

I have an EBS TD650 which I run into a Dr Bass 2460 4ohm cab, I've never had the volume past 11 o'clock (about 5, it does go up to 11!) and most of the time I run it at under a quarter of its potential.

Is the extra power wasted on me?

Should I go for a TD350 or similar amp?

Or is the extra headroom worth it?

[quote name='Charla' post='317052' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:32 PM']I have an EBS TD650 which I run into a Dr Bass 2460 4ohm cab, I've never had the volume past 11 o'clock (about 5, it does go up to 11!) and most of the time I run it at under a quarter of its potential.

Is the extra power wasted on me?

Should I go for a TD350 or similar amp?

Or is the extra headroom worth it?[/quote]

No, no, and yes.

You don't know how lucky you are :-)

If your volume knob is at 5 out of 11 that does not mean that your amp is only producing under 50% of its maximum power, in fact you are likely to be reaching full power quite frequently when playing louder low notes. Even when turned down to 2 out 11 if you slap a low B string note you could easily take the amp beyond its limits.

Alex

More power is great, think of it like a Porsche 911 versus a Nissan Micra on a motorway. Both driving from A to B, both never exceeding the 70 MPH speed limit. The greater excelleration of the Porsche will make for a higher performance, which in bass amp terms equals greater dynamics, cleaner lows and more slam.

Thanks for your replies.

I'll take it that you all think I should `shut up' and keep the TD650!

It was just one of those, um, `do I need a smaller amp' moments. Thanks to you all that has now gone and I'm back in the land of the sane.

Bremen, ever since I first switched on the amp I realised how lucky I am and never take my gear for granted. It's just that since I've lightened my cabs the EBS feels heavy and it was a `power to weight' consideration.

Cheers

Charla