Why become a member? ×

Watching all the bands on the bill

Lozz196

The multi band thing is pretty common if you're playing originals in London, and the easiest way to get gigs at decent venues when you're starting out. The venue has a lot to do with whether bands or their crowds will come in to watch the rest of the line up.

For instance, The Boston Arms/Music Room is just one big room. There is a pretty large downstairs dressing room area if you really don't want to mix with the crowds, but once everybody's in they'll tend to stick around and watch everybody because there aren't a lot of other options unless you want to hang around outside on the main road (I'm not saying i haven't done that...).

Somewhere like the Barfly or Nambucca has a separate bar/pub area outside the gig room (with the Barfly also having a load of dressing rooms as a backstage area) so it's a lot easier for bands and their crowds to head off and talk amongst themselves when they're not playing.

The difference in what bands and their mates/fans do at each type of venue is very noticeable. There doesn't seem to be much of a "well I've paid my fiver so i might as well watch everybody" attitude from the crowd as I remember from ten or twenty years ago.

personally I'll do my best to hang around and watch the rest of the bands - I'm with those who think it's a bit rude not to: you'd prefer to have the other bands sticking around to watch you too, plus you make friends and connections and find out which other bands you're a fit for. My old bands have had and made gig offers from/to bands we've got to know like that. However, you really don't want to be on last - getting the tube home is always going to top sticking around to check out a new band.

The one time we were going to make a point of not doing that was when a somewhat above themselves (unsigned) band's manager offered us a support gig and presented a contract that required us to, among a long list of terms, watch all of the bands on the bill and not leave the building until the headliners had finished. We all pointed and laughed at it as being completely unenforceable (it was the laughable manager's ham-fisted attempt to portray himself a a big time music biz insider...failed) but the gig didn't happen so we never got the chance to see what he would actually have done if we all trooped off after we'd finished.

We seem to end up in a position where our gear is not safe frequently and so have to leave. It would be nice if all 'promoters' ensured a safe room rather than have the attitude that 'you've played so shift your gear'. It's not as if equipment is safe in a car or van outside venues either.

We've missed loads of decent bands through this...

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1494593740' post='3297219'] The multi band thing is pretty common if you're playing originals in London, and the easiest way to get gigs at decent venues when you're starting out. ... personally I'll do my best to hang around and watch the rest of the bands - I'm with those who think it's a bit rude not to: you'd prefer to have the other bands sticking around to watch you too, plus you make friends and connections and find out which other bands you're a fit for. My old bands have had and made gig offers from/to bands we've got to know like that. However, you really don't want to be on last - getting the tube home is always going to top sticking around to check out a new band. [/quote]

^ This does seem to be more of an issue in London. Possibly because the bulk of originals gigs (or at least, the "Camden Toilet Circuit") is controlled by a dozen or so promoters who will throw together bands you've never heard of and may never hear from again!

Sure, it probably shouldn't be the responsibility of the other bands to help maintain the atmosphere in the venue, but if a genuinely good band has driven 100 miles to try and get their first foot in the door in London, I'd feel bad for them if we all just buggered off to the bar when they came on. (What are they supposed to do, bus down a bunch of mates who've already seen them play plenty of times back home?)

I can't say I'd extend that to all the bands we've shared a bill with - some of them have been genuinely abysmal! But there's been at least a couple of bands who it was worth sticking around for and striking up a rapport with for future gigs. Unfortunately you do have to sift a huge amount of chaff to get the wheat out of that circuit.

I enjoy watching the whole bill.
However often this isn't happening.
These days we have support bands - we're never the support band.
Normally the promoter lays on a meal with local 'personalities' between soundcheck and gig.
Normally this occurs 'off site'.
Normally we are transported back to the venue and let in the stage door during the latter stages of the support band's set.
This prevents us seeing the support band :(

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1494595274' post='3297235']

Sure, it probably shouldn't be the responsibility of the other bands to help maintain the atmosphere in the venue, but if a genuinely good band has driven 100 miles to try and get their first foot in the door in London, I'd feel bad for them if we all just buggered off to the bar when they came on. (What are they supposed to do, bus down a bunch of mates who've already seen them play plenty of times back home?)

[/quote]

If it's a genuinely good (or rather, interesting to you... no judgement on their value, purely personal taste) band, you'll stay once you hear a bit of them, right?

There's been many times where I wasn't planning on staying and while I hang around a little I hear a band play and I go "whoa, I like that!" and then stay the whole gig. If bands interest me I'll stay, but I won't stay just because we shared stage. If you see me watching, you know I'm genuinely interested.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1494595274' post='3297235']What are they supposed to do, bus down a bunch of mates who've already seen them play plenty of times back home?[/quote]

IME, this has actually been implied by several "promoters" over the years, and not just in London.

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1494599762' post='3297271']
IME, this has actually been implied by several "promoters" over the years, and not just in London.
[/quote]

not just implied, categorically stated sometimes. And I know one band who did this to maintain a monthly booking in London by bussing up people from their home town of Brighton. It actually worked really well - created a buzz around them in London.

If you want the support slots at the better venues and on the bigger nights of the week, you have to guarantee a minimum number of punters that are there to see you. And as somebody commented about London, there are a limited number of promoters so lying about it and bringing three people when you've promised fifty will get round quickly.