Why become a member? ×

Offset, Custom Body

twodinners

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='316055' date='Oct 27 2008, 06:30 PM']hiya Kevin, so you took over the bass chair from Pino with Paul Young? What made you retire eventually?[/quote]
Crazykiwi,

Well I came off a tour on a Monday, my daughter was born on the Thursday and I was back behind a desk programing computers the following week.

That's the danger of having something to fall back on I suppose.

Playing for Paul was a fantastic experience, he was lovely to play for and made my stepping into Pino's shoes as stressless as possible. Could have been worse, could have been Weather Report.

I got back playing about four years ago, went and bought an upright and now probably two thirds of my work is on the double bass.

I'm going to enjoy nosing round this site.

Regards,

Kevin

[quote name='molan' post='316111' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:54 PM']MySpace friends with Same Difference eh?

Have you met them in real life?

Do they ever stop smiling :)[/quote]
Hi Molan,

No, it's all meant to a bit ironic really.

I once, however spent a weekend as a Rubette (if you remember them).

Kevin

[quote name='Stinkywhizzleteats' post='316930' date='Oct 28 2008, 06:06 PM']Pino huh? Did anyone outside the band give you a hard time? Seems similar to when Pino took over from John Entwhistle![/quote]
Dear Stwtts,

Strangely enough you are the first person that's ever asked me that. I never really considered that there would be any acrimony from Paul's fans, and I really can't remember there ever being an issue. I'd done my homework, had the chops and a decent sound and was very much up for the job.

There was some freindly and quite affectionate joshing from the crew though who spent a very amusing afternoon at the Hammersmith Odeon as was, reminding me at every opportunity that 'Pino's in tonight'. When I went on stage that evening they had covered my amp with pictures of the great man and were giving me the thumbs up/down from the wings.

Saying all this, I'm glad that I didn't have to do it in this internet age, which would certainly have made me better known but would surely have attracted a whole load of criticism and public scrutiny.

Cheers, thanks for that,

Kevin

[quote name='twodinners' post='316534' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:54 AM']Crazykiwi,

Well I came off a tour on a Monday, my daughter was born on the Thursday and I was back behind a desk programing computers the following week.

That's the danger of having something to fall back on I suppose.

Playing for Paul was a fantastic experience, he was lovely to play for and made my stepping into Pino's shoes as stressless as possible. Could have been worse, could have been Weather Report.

I got back playing about four years ago, went and bought an upright and now probably two thirds of my work is on the double bass.

I'm going to enjoy nosing round this site.

Regards,

Kevin[/quote]

Hi Kevin

does this mean basschat has got a "real" bassist on it..... :)

looking forward to picking your brain.....

regards...Paul

[quote name='Prosebass' post='317948' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:16 PM']Hi Kevin

does this mean basschat has got a "real" bassist on it..... :)

looking forward to picking your brain.....

regards...Paul[/quote]

Hi Paul,

Please feel free to pick away, although to listen to a real bass player listen to x-factor/strictly on a Saturday night or any West End show where our real champions live.

I'm just getting back into it, and am so impressed with the standard of new young jazz bass players that I meet.

There are of course the soi disant stylists, and you have to figure which camp you're in.

I'm still on that many thousand hour road that hopefully will never end.

Oops, late night, post gig, must shut up.

Regards,

Kevin www.myspace.com/charlesdunford