Why become a member? ×

MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe?

radiophonic

Anyone got or tried one of these? I have double GAS for a decent chorus and a Pork Loin, but assuming my EHX Crayon doesn't sell on here, the overdrive can stay on hold for a while. The MXR Chorus claims to be a dual chorus / flanger, but none of the youtube demos go very far with the flanger options. Usually a flanger would have a feedback or resonance control, so do the main knobs on the MXR adjust any of the flanger parameters? Also, it has a crossover to take out the fundamentals. I can see how this would be useful, but AFAIK, this isn't adjustable right? Just on/off.

Any ideas?

I like mine.

It really adds warmth to my signal. I bought it for a little chorus on the higher registers (I'm not a massive fan of chorus, truth be told) and to warm up my signal and it does that job very well indeed. I highly recommend it. Built like a tank, too.

I'm actually wondering if I might need something a bit more aggressive- like the MXR analog chorus. It's a tonne cheaper too. Seems to work well on bass without the crossover- plus 2/3 the price. At least they are easy to try in a shop.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1493840794' post='3291228']
I have, and love, the MXR analog chorus. Hi and Low cuts do a very similar job to the crossover... great pedal.
[/quote]

It's a bit hard to compare the specs using the manuals.The low cut on the AC only operates down to 70 Hz. Does this mean that the chorus circuit passes everything below 70Hz dry anyway, I wonder? I notice the AC is buffered too, rather than true bypass (although I'm not sure what this amounts to, these days. Buffering is generally pretty transparent compared to 80s pedals). I'll try and A/B them in PMT (kids notwithstanding). They'll have the Boss bass chorus too and probably an EHX one. Definitely not the TC Corona though, which is the other obvious one to compare.

I don't have mine on the pedalboard at the moment but manual says:

Intensity knob controls the overall ... modulation in Chorus mode and regeneration in Flanger mode.

The chorus sounds excellent and the X-over really works. I have not used the flanger much but it does sound like a flanger to me. I must dig out the Banshees and Cure songbooks.