Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan

rasher80

Right - i never knew that. I thought that the size would be close enough to Jazz size rather than the more traditional Precision size. That's not bad at all.

Just got to work out all the bits and pieces i need and get someone to throw em together!

• 9 months later...

[quote name='rasher80' post='315745' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:01 PM']Hello all,

This is my first post - i'll try not to rant too much!

I just want to say how p-d off i am with the current situation regarding Fender Japan. It seems that the majority of the UK importers like mustangguitars and guitaremporium have had the kibosh put on them, presumably by the chaps over in the good ol' US of A.

I'm grumbling cos i'm a left hander who has wanted a 75 re-issue Jazz bass, and having worked my damnedest to accumulate the money, no sooner am i almost up to the total than all the importers i know of seem to be calling it a day. It's really annoying, cos if i was a right hander i'd just pick up one of the Mexican reissues and just pimp it a bit. I don't have the nous to be able to source one direct from Japan and the only other importer i know of is in the US, who wants £900 before any customs charges. so i'm going to have to forget it and try and get a MIM jazz and pimp that instead.

Bad show Fender!

Anyway, rant over! :)[/quote]

Hi,
Try [url="http://www.japanfender.com/"]http://www.japanfender.com/[/url]
They seem to carry the whole range.
Got my Strat from them. Had no problems at all.
jchel

Hey, I almost forgot about rasher80. Have you made up your mind yet and actually bought anything? Last thing I remember was you looking at Maruszczyk as an alternative to buying a JB75-US/LH. I'm very interested to hear what you're up to :)

ha ha, i change my mind more often than my socks (believe it or not!)

i'm currently waiting on delivery of a 62 Precision from GE, i have an old-ish MIM standard Jazz so i thought i'd pick up a P for now and sort myself out with a MIJ Jazz at some point in the very near future :)

Edited by rasher80

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='316996' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:14 PM']Go to Japan.

Have yourself a holiday in one of the most amazing countries in the world and while your at it buy a nice CIJ bass.

You know it makes sense![/quote]

This is something I've thought of, only thing is I don't want to be royally stiffed by the airline for excess baggage on the way home. Some of them now charge sixxty odd quid for having a second bag, and that's before you even go over your weight alowance!

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='595758' date='Sep 11 2009, 03:29 PM']This is something I've thought of, only thing is I don't want to be royally stiffed by the airline for excess baggage on the way home. Some of them now charge sixxty odd quid for having a second bag, and that's before you even go over your weight alowance![/quote]

You're probably only getting "stiffed" on the excess baggage because you've made the false economy of buying the cheapest flight. Although it probably still works out cheaper then the cost of having it shipped back to the UK.

I've bought instruments back from Japan twice now without any problems but then I haven't flown at super discount prices.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='596388' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:23 AM']Try the new American Standard LH. I have the RH model and it's the lovliest jazz profile neck I've ever played...[/quote]

Nice, but from what I can establish they only do rosewood boards on the lefty, which is a firm dealbreaker for me. I presume rosewood must be cheaper to produce (I suppose as it doesn't need the same level of finishing) as it has become such a default option.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='596450' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:50 AM']You're probably only getting "stiffed" on the excess baggage because you've made the false economy of buying the cheapest flight. Although it probably still works out cheaper then the cost of having it shipped back to the UK.

I've bought instruments back from Japan twice now without any problems but then I haven't flown at super discount prices.[/quote]

Did you fly business class? Seems to me when I've looked around (though I've only gone as far as Beijing going East), these days, it's pretty much the same everywhere. BA seem to be always the quickest to screw ya over, but they're also far from the cheapest to begin with! Thwey were, afaik, the first to introsduce the RyanAir-style charges for an extra bag within weight allowance on international routes.

[quote name='rasher80' post='315745' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:01 PM']Hello all,

This is my first post - i'll try not to rant too much!

I just want to say how p-d off i am with the current situation regarding Fender Japan. It seems that the majority of the UK importers like mustangguitars and guitaremporium have had the kibosh put on them, presumably by the chaps over in the good ol' US of A.

I'm grumbling cos i'm a left hander who has wanted a 75 re-issue Jazz bass, and having worked my damnedest to accumulate the money, no sooner am i almost up to the total than all the importers i know of seem to be calling it a day. It's really annoying, cos if i was a right hander i'd just pick up one of the Mexican reissues and just pimp it a bit. I don't have the nous to be able to source one direct from Japan and the only other importer i know of is in the US, who wants £900 before any customs charges. so i'm going to have to forget it and try and get a MIM jazz and pimp that instead.

Bad show Fender!

Anyway, rant over! :rolleyes:[/quote]

welcome to the fender appreciation society...:)

cheers mate...hope you get the ideal and for real money

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='596606' date='Sep 12 2009, 04:30 PM']Nice, but from what I can establish they only do rosewood boards on the lefty, which is a firm dealbreaker for me. I presume rosewood must be cheaper to produce (I suppose as it doesn't need the same level of finishing) as it has become such a default option.[/quote]

Yes, that was a no-go for me as well. I'm a sucker for maple fingerboards. They also only come in black (with a white pickguard) and sunburst (with a tortoise pickguard). Too bad! Wish they still made the Hot Rodded American Precision. The lefty version came in a mindboggling 5 (FIVE!) colours, which is fairly unique for a lefthanded Fender USA product (sunset orange transparent, black, natural, white blonde and 3-tone sunburst). But only with a rosewood board though...

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='598132' date='Sep 14 2009, 01:10 PM']Yes, that was a no-go for me as well. I'm a sucker for maple fingerboards. They also only come in black (with a white pickguard) and sunburst (with a tortoise pickguard). Too bad! Wish they still made the Hot Rodded American Precision. The lefty version came in a mindboggling 5 (FIVE!) colours, which is fairly unique for a lefthanded Fender USA product (sunset orange transparent, black, natural, white blonde and 3-tone sunburst). But only with a rosewood board though...[/quote]

Yeah, that's the thing. I honestly think Fender have gotten worse for lefties over the past ten years, though a lot of that has to do with their efforts to keep the CIJ range, with its vastly superior lefty provision, out of the UK. Grr. I passed through Wunjo on Saturday afternoon (didn't bother going into the Bass Celler, as a glance through the window confirmed a lack of lefties), and they had a beautiful burst & maple Brandoni Jazz. I'd have been very tempted to try t out but for the fact that I'm not especially into the idea of a J and not especially a big fan of bursts (a lot to do with that being all too often the only or one of the only few finishes available to us - familiarity breeds contempt, and all that). I think it would have looked a lot better with a 'guard added, though. Anyhow having seen one in a flesh and compared their direct prices (about £400 for an alder P bass, significantly cheaper than I can find a CIJ Fender for), I'm convinced that Brandoni are the way to go for me. Soon as I have a few bits and pieces sold on eBay, I'll be headed up to their showroom to look into getting one or two from them. The big bonus with them too is that eventually I'll be able to order a matching Strat too.... :)

Yes, they have a secondhand lefty in stock as we speak, all black with black pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. Very pretty. But they ask 90,000 Yen + 16,000 Yen shipping costs. That's only 13,000 Yen below buying a brand new one from guitarshogun.com, including shipping. It's not worth that to me, I'd go for the new one for a slight bit more.

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='599119' date='Sep 15 2009, 01:19 PM']Yes, they have a secondhand lefty in stock as we speak, all black with black pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. Very pretty. But they ask 90,000 Yen + 16,000 Yen shipping costs. That's only 13,000 Yen below buying a brand new one from guitarshogun.com, including shipping. It's not worth that to me, I'd go for the new one for a slight bit more.[/quote]
Right yer are...

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='596606' date='Sep 12 2009, 03:30 PM']Did you fly business class? Seems to me when I've looked around (though I've only gone as far as Beijing going East), these days, it's pretty much the same everywhere. BA seem to be always the quickest to screw ya over, but they're also far from the cheapest to begin with! Thwey were, afaik, the first to introsduce the RyanAir-style charges for an extra bag within weight allowance on international routes.[/quote]
I flew business class on the second occasion, and it was well worth it, I took the guitar into the cabin with me as hand luggage and it went it the suit locker. Plus there was the service and far more comfortable seating/sleeping. Personally I wouldn't fly to Japan with any of the really low budget airlines as the lack of comfort is a serious problem on a long-haul flight like that before you get into any issues with bringing a musical instrument back with you.

Next time I go (hopefully next year), if I buy anything out there I'll probably arrange to have it shipped back to the UK rather than mess about with trying to get it on the plane with me, plus I may be buying several instruments if I find what I'm after.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='600258' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:41 PM']I flew business class on the second occasion, and it was well worth it, I took the guitar into the cabin with me as hand luggage and it went it the suit locker. Plus there was the service and far more comfortable seating/sleeping. Personally I wouldn't fly to Japan with any of the really low budget airlines as the lack of comfort is a serious problem on a long-haul flight like that before you get into any issues with bringing a musical instrument back with you.

Next time I go (hopefully next year), if I buy anything out there I'll probably arrange to have it shipped back to the UK rather than mess about with trying to get it on the plane with me, plus I may be buying several instruments if I find what I'm after.[/quote]

usiness class is certainly a lot more pleasant than steerage.... when I go to Beijing on University business, I fly business, but if it were on my own money, the extra grand just isn't worth it.... then I'm relatively lucky in that I can sleep anywhere, like a cat, so much as I enjoy the improved seating in business, it just isn't worth to me what it might be to some. An extra coupel of hundred quid, sure, but I could never justify a grand, alas. Would that money were more plentiful! I haven't ruled out the option of buying stuff out that way and having it shipped, though - could be a good option if I make it to Tokyo. Be interested to hear about your experience on that front if you do it.

Buying a shipping back will undoubtedly be easier if you have local contacts who can help you with the difficult stuff. The Japanese excel at service until they have to do things that are outside of their comfort zone or that they've never done before; and dealing with weird foreigners who want instruments shipped back to the UK could well be one of those things. I'm lucky in that I have friends both Japanese and English living out there who will be able to help me with any such difficulties.

[b]John,
You should contact via the web site.

[url="http://www.japanfender.org.uk"]http://www.japanfender.org.uk[/url]

Otherwise the sad nellies who moderate this forum will stop possing in front of the mirror with their bass guitars and ban me.[/b]

Edited by jchel

[quote name='jchel' post='608276' date='Sep 25 2009, 03:43 AM'][b]John,
You should contact via the web site.

[url="http://www.japanfender.org.uk"]http://www.japanfender.org.uk[/url]

Otherwise the sad nellies who moderate this forum will stop possing in front of the mirror with their bass guitars and ban me.[/b][/quote]

Wow.

I bet you're a really pleasant person to do business with.

it's probably a bit silly to make childish comments like that - as we all know, MIJ Fenders are of brilliant quality, but hard to come by - meaning another professional, courteous exporter would be welcomed by many on the forum; but i think you will alienate quite a lot of potential buyers with that attitude.

Just my opinion like; i for one was interested in your prices but ultimately would think twice now as you have shown yourself to be quite rude

James

[quote name='rasher80' post='608614' date='Sep 25 2009, 01:29 PM']it's probably a bit silly to make childish comments like that - as we all know, MIJ Fenders are of brilliant quality, but hard to come by - meaning another professional, courteous exporter would be welcomed by many on the forum; but i think you will alienate quite a lot of potential buyers with that attitude.

Just my opinion like; i for one was interested in your prices but ultimately would think twice now as you have shown yourself to be quite rude

James[/quote]
For goodness sake don’t take yourselves so seriously.
It was just a little satire railing against the hypocrisy shown but some on this site.
Not meant to be taken seriously.