Why become a member? ×

Metallica, Rob Truheeo...

Faithless

[quote name='ARGH' post='363655' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:17 PM']Eh?

How'd you work that out?[/quote]

To my ears, P-Basses don't work in alot of Metal situations, though in Hard Rock/Rock they are more appropiate. The P-Bass tone will not help Rob stand out in the mix much and would result in a really boomy mix, and going from his pretty well defined tone of his Zons/Warwick/Tobias's to the King of all things Boomy and undefined is kind of ironic. But hey, it may have just been a one off.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='ARGH' post='363663' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:32 PM']....clean your ears out..go to the docs and get them waxed[/quote]

Nah I'm happy with them the way they are.

I still get confused to why some people rave on about Cliff's Rickenbacker tone.

[quote name='Josh' post='363665' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:35 PM']Nah I'm happy with them the way they are.

I still get confused to why some people rave on about Cliff's Rickenbacker tone.[/quote]
You do know how many Metal records use P's....how many Bassists use P's....

How old are you? Have you NEVER heard of Sabbath,Maiden,Cannibal Corpse,COC,Sepultura?

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='363667' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:37 PM']Even though the Ricky isnt on Ride or Master....[/quote]

And the only time you can really tell it's distinctive noise is when it's boosted with distortion and wah.

Still, Jason used a 57 P-Bass on Load and Re-Load, as did David Ellefson on Cryptic Writings and Risk. Both albums for each band being the more Blues Rock driven so it had much more of place in the overall sound.

[quote name='ARGH' post='363667' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:37 PM']You do know how many Metal records use P's....how many Bassists use P's....

How old are you? Have you NEVER heard of Sabbath,Maiden,Cannibal Corpse,COC,Sepultura?[/quote]

Of course.

19, and Yes/Yes/Yes/Yes/Yes/Yes.

In fact I recently found a clip of Alex of CC recording for one of their old albums, and the tone was IMO horrific:

Edited by Josh

Alex Webster uses Spectors these days doesn\'t he?

Ps do work for some metal bands, but it depends.

Works alright here. But then again Sabbath music is more doomy/stoner than some of the thrashier stuff metallica normally does (well not for the \'90s but you know what I mean).

Edited by TheDarkReaver

[quote name='Josh' post='363668' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:41 PM']And the only time you can really tell it's distinctive noise is when it's boosted with distortion and wah.

Still, Jason used a 57 P-Bass on Load and Re-Load, as did David Ellefson on Cryptic Writings and Risk. Both albums for each band being the more Blues Rock driven so it had much more of place in the overall sound.[/quote]
Thats not an answer....Are you saying Harris's tone is blurry,Webster on 'Butchered' is buried?...

[quote name='Josh' post='363672' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:45 PM']Of course.

19, and Yes/Yes/Yes/Yes/Yes/Yes.

In fact I recently found a clip of Alex of CC recording for one of their old albums, and the tone was IMO horrific:

[/quote]
YES yet another example of isolated bass track that sounds crap...throw it in the mix and it works.

Great bass tone sounds arse on its own.

[quote name='ARGH' post='363675' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:50 PM']Thats not an answer....Are you saying Harris's tone is blurry,Webster on 'Butchered' is buried?...[/quote]

No, Harris's tone is clicky and harsh, as is Websters. They stand out but IMO not in the way I prefer.

[quote name='Josh' post='363678' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:51 PM']No, Harris's tone is clicky and harsh, as is Websters. They stand out but IMO not in the way I prefer.[/quote]
OK,are you going to say that Butlers is the same? THEEE metal tone?

WHo is a good tone IYHO?

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='363677' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:51 PM']YES yet another example of isolated bass track that sounds crap...throw it in the mix and it works.

Great bass tone sounds arse on its own.[/quote]

True :).

Edited by Josh

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='363683' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:57 PM']Metal is a broad church though and I think Ps arn't as versatile for the whole range as a say a Jazz bass, or a spector. Spectors rock for metal \m/ I might be a bit biased though.[/quote]
You ever been under studio conditions...not you paying..some other poor bastard,and the clocks ticking? You dont want versitile,you just want a tone that works,and P's do,by the ton.

Spectors were great studio bass's in the 80s,but I reckon its the EMGs,and we are talking proper Spectors.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='363680' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:54 PM']OK,are you going to say that Butlers is the same? THEEE metal tone?

WHo is a good tone IYHO?[/quote]

I'm afraid so, but thats YOUR idea of THEEE Metal tone, I respect that.

Surely your going to disagree with whom I say because:

1. Alot of them play Warwicks/Spectors.
2. Metal is much more over-produced nowadays than it was when you were younger.
3. Your of a different generation of Metal to me.

But IMHO of the best bass tones in Metal go to:

Ryan Martinie
Sam Rivers
James Leech
Arif Mirabdolbaghi

Can we agree to disagree or is that not enough?

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='363687' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:03 PM']I'm afraid so, thats YOUR idea of THEEE Metal tone, I respect that.

Surely your going to disagree with whom I say because:

1. Alot of them play Warwicks.
2. Metal is much more over-produced nowadays than it was when you were younger.
3. Your of a different generation of Metal to me.

But IMHO of the best bass tones in Metal go to:

Ryan Martinie
Sam Rivers
James Leech
Arif Mirabdolbaghi

Can we agree to disagree or is that not enough?[/quote]
NO...Warwick have an endorsement deal running a mile wide,everyone likes free gear and they are hurling it at players,those guys are using Fenders on records,I see the youngsters click clicking tonally and calling it heavy,it sounds sh*t onstage,and it sounds crap on record...Ryan CAN play,and can play mean,but theres no darkness there,it isnt Heavy,its the post-Fieldy sound,it moves no-one,and yeah,the BASS has to be heard above downtuned guitars,but if Butler can cut through,AND still write lines that stand out without having to resort to boxes to fix in the mix,then theres summat very wrong...thats why the big ol'Fenders are still being used in the studio,they dont cause probs.

Theres a lot more to metal tone than a Jappo name brand line6 DI'd into a mates studio......

[quote name='ARGH' post='363692' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:13 PM']NO...Warwick have an endorsement deal running a mile wide,everyone likes free gear and they are hurling it at players,those guys are using Fenders on records,I see the youngsters click clicking tonally and calling it heavy,it sounds sh*t onstage,and it sounds crap on record...Ryan CAN play,and can play mean,but theres no darkness there,it isnt Heavy,its the post-Fieldy sound,it moves no-one,and yeah,the BASS has to be heard above downtuned guitars,but if Butler can cut through,AND still write lines that stand out without having to resort to boxes to fix in the mix,then theres summat very wrong...thats why the big ol'Fenders are still being used in the studio,they dont cause probs.

Theres a lot more to metal tone than a Jappo name brand line6 DI'd into a mates studio......[/quote]

Ok fair enough thats the way you see it, but all your reply seems to reflect is both a dislike for morden Metal Bassists and Warwicks, which I expected and in some cases I'm forced to agree with you. But your seemingly much more moved by classic Metal which was and still is Fender driven. Thats what you prefer, I can't argue with you about that, why would I want to? Ultimatley niether of us are right, nor are we wrong.

If anything Butler wasn't exactly fighting against much distorion back then and his tone has some crunch qaulities to it, so his tone was pretty much guaranteed to stand out, the same goes for JPJ and Steve Harris.

P.S. Fieldy's tone dosen't deserve to even be called tone, it's mindless clicking.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='363687' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:03 PM']Can we agree to disagree or is that not enough?[/quote]

I think that might be the best option for everyone!

Fender Precisions are definitely not the most suited bass for heavy metal music (I'd imagine it has one string less than required for a start!), but if it sounds good, then why not?

+1 for whoever said that Precisions sound crap on their own but great in a mix. I've noticed this a few times, although I am generally a fan of the basic Precision sound on it's own too!

Danny

Am I being dumb here but can't you get pretty much any rock bass sound you want with any decent quality bass, be it a P, J, 4003, Yamaha whatever, if you have the right pre-amp/amp settings? I have a P and use the Sansamp VT Bass and can dial in pretty much any rock tone.

So if Rob T wants to play a cool-looking Fender P (white/tort looks both rock and punk) why the hell not?