Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 vs 500

Crawford13

Hi folks, I recently acquired a Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal and I absolutely love the tone I can get with it. So now it's time to get a new gigging rig and I am thinking of getting a Tone Hammer head and a SL112 Cab. I can't really find any good info on the web about the 350. Has anyone got any experience with it? Did you get it and then instantly think maybe I should have got the 500? With the recent price hike I'm really hoping to hear good things about the 350. Thanks

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1489762248' post='3259617']
I used to own the TH500 and two SL112s. My advice is: Spend your money with the TH500 and get another cab. There's lots of great second hand cabs here that are cheaper and way better than the SL112 in my opinion.
[/quote]

Hi thanks for the input. Was there something in particular you didn't like about the SL cabs? I have seen on other forums the Tone Hammer can get a bit muddy with certain cabinets?

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1489763578' post='3259642']
There is a topic on this only about 4 topics below your post

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302297-aguilar-tone-hammer-350-500-big-price-difference-why/
[/quote]

Thanks, I had seen this post it's mainly talking about the differences between the amps. I'm trying to get some real experience with the 350, what sort of size venues did it work for etc.

I'm another one that would suggest looks at different cabs - if you like the TH sound then by all means get the amp but I found the cabs to have a loose bottom end & to be a bit muddy. They are built well & look nice but I think there are better cabs out there especially given how much the SL112s cost! But we're all different & you may love the way they sound so take all this with a pinch of salt.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1489764352' post='3259652']
I'm another one that would suggest looks at different cabs - if you like the TH sound then by all means get the amp but I found the cabs to have a loose bottom end & to be a bit muddy. They are built well & look nice but I think there are better cabs out there especially given how much the SL112s cost! But we're all different & you may love the way they sound so take all this with a pinch of salt.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm really grateful for all the input, as I live in Scotland it's really hard to find anywhere to actually try decent bass gear. The one thing I did see on the other thread was that I could get a clean sounding amp and use my tone hammer pedal to get the TH tone when I need it. Anyone got any recommendations for a clean amp?

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1489765574' post='3259663']
If you are near Glasgow, the guy in Guitar Guitar is trying to assemble a decent bass section, it's now got the whole basement floor. He had some pretty decent amps in when I was last in. Could phone and ask about Aguilar? They only have a cab on the website but means they do stock them
[/quote]

That's awesome to know cheers. I am in Glasgow, but wouldn't have thought of guitar guitar because last time I was there they barely had anything except practice amps on display.

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1489762801' post='3259630']
Hi thanks for the input. Was there something in particular you didn't like about the SL cabs? I have seen on other forums the Tone Hammer can get a bit muddy with certain cabinets?
[/quote]

I came from using the Tone Hammer with either a DB212 or DB 210... Or both. The amp sounded great with either cab and supreme with both. I did a long tour with the full rig and it put a big smile on my face night after night. Effortless power, insane tone, beautifully round and controlled bottom, plenty of definition (tweeters on both cabs always turned off). At the end of the tour I decided to get SL112s for smaller and unfortunately it didn't work for me. Muddy, lack of definition, compressed sound at higher volumes... Didn't like it at all.

Another tip. After I sold the SL112s I got a pair of Eden EX112s. They're a massively underrated cabs. Used that rig for a couple of years and only once at a massive festival stage it felt slightly underpowered. Played loads of gigs with the Tone Hammer and the two little Eden cabs and can't really complain about it.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1489773820' post='3259791']
Another tip. After I sold the SL112s I got a pair of Eden EX112s. They're a massively underrated cabs. Used that rig for a couple of years and only once at a massive festival stage it felt slightly underpowered. Played loads of gigs with the Tone Hammer and the two little Eden cabs and can't really complain about it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the edens.

I`ve had both the 350 and the 500, and unless you need very clean at high volume, combined with a very hard hitting drummer, the 350 should be fine, especially if hooked up to an efficient cab. If given the choice between the 500 and a single speaker cab, or the 350 and a multiple speaker cab, assuming the budget is the same the latter would be my choice.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1489779013' post='3259847']
I`ve had both the 350 and the 500, and unless you need very clean at high volume, combined with a very hard hitting drummer, the 350 should be fine, especially if hooked up to an efficient cab. If given the choice between the 500 and a single speaker cab, or the 350 and a multiple speaker cab, assuming the budget is the same the latter would be my choice.
[/quote]

Thanks for you input Lozz. I'm loving the tone hammer pedal I got from you. Do you still use a tone hammer head? If not what made you move on? Thanks

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1489765868' post='3259670']

That's awesome to know cheers. I am in Glasgow, but wouldn't have thought of guitar guitar because last time I was there they barely had anything except practice amps on display.
[/quote]

You're in for a surprise. I was in just the other day. Well worth a visit. Try the Darkglass amp (if they still have stock!)...

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1489779468' post='3259850']
Thanks for you input Lozz. I'm loving the tone hammer pedal I got from you. Do you still use a tone hammer head? If not what made you move on? Thanks
[/quote]

Hi Crawford, glad you still love the TH, pretty decent pedals. I`ve moved on to Ashdowns with a Sansamp Para Driver DI. I used a few Ashdown amps as provided rigs and just preferred the sound, it seemed to have more of a thud/attack to it, so switched across. I still get basically the same sound mind, but on-stage it just seems to react better to my playing.