Why become a member? ×

Popping my build cherry.

LowMoFo

Cool. I thought a photo might get some others to make suggestions.

The only other suggestion I can add is that it looks like there are no actual components or connections where the board is fouling the jack clearance. It might be possible to very carefully cut the circuit board to give you the clearance, glue on some support across the corner to stop the board flexing too much and then use a length of wire to bridge the connection. It looks like the thick track there is probably the 0v screening.

Hey guys,
Thanks heaps for all the suggestions & tips, you've given me plenty to think about.
I'd considered an oval jack plate, but not sure if I can bend it in two directions - the edge of the bass is curved as opposed to flat.
I've heard that barrel-jacks are pretty much the work of Satan anyway, so will definitely avoid these in the future.

Samhay, in all of this, I hadn't considered the jack itself. Top man!
Neither had I thought of using a dowel. Jabba, if I do drill the hole out, and I might, you have already saved me from potential doom. You're a star!
Yep, a stereo socket is exactly what I need, hadn't thought of that either! Andy saves me from further brain-ache again!
The reason I went for this pre-amp is that it's neat, built for tight spaces, and it's idiot-proof, even for me. So Norris, as terrifying as your suggestion is (to me), it's started some cogs turning already.

Gentlemen, thank you for your time and your wisdom, I salute you all!
Again!

By how much is the circuit board in the way? It can only be a few mm. If you're going to cut it, only take as much as you need to. You certainly don't want the tip of the jack plug touching the board though as there's a fair chance you'll short out your signal if it does.

Some careful work with a Dremel cutter would be needed to cut perpendicular to the edge, and I'd probably use a tiny drill to make a line of holes to join the two slots, then carefully cut through the remaining metal track with a Stanley knife. The board should snap easily enough if you drill the perforations but you want to avoid lifting the track, so cut through it first

Hi Norris,
The board is in the way by roughly 3mm, excluding the jack pins, which can be bent aside a little for clearance.
There's about 1.5mm of board before I hit tracks. Same on both sides so rotating it won't make a difference.
I checked the socket with a jack plug last night, there's about 6-7mm of socket after the plug end, so may be able to remove 3-4mm from the end & refit the pins, after trimming & re-shaping them.

What's on the other side of the board, LowMoFo? It looks to me that the wide track is actually the metal baseplate rather than a specific electrical track, in which case cutting into it would be no big problem...but there might be a copper trace track on the other side. Can you take a photo?

[quote name='LowMoFo' timestamp='1490217317' post='3263408']
I'd love to, but I've reached the max attachment for this topic. Have removed a few but hasn't made any difference. :(
[/quote]

Dropbox/Google Photos/Flickr/Photobucket is your friend in these cases

Edited by BassApprentice

Hi guys,

Thanks Bass Apprentice, I'll investigate Dropbox v soon, think I'm gonna need to at this rate.

In the meantime, I'm almost done with the staining, and am approaching the sealer & grain filler quandry.
Once I've finished staining, I don't want to lift the grain any further, so (I think) I don't want to use a sanding sealer.
I want to avoid nitrocellulose entirely if I can, much preferring what I've read about Poly finishes in comparison.
So I need to find a sealer which will work with a) bursting down to V dark brown, and B) poly lacquers, clear or tinted.

I found a Rustoleum poly sealer (spray) online, would that work?

Ok, finally got around to the Dropbox thing...

Andy, here's a close-up of the offending corner on the board, from the pot side:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fucmld0sb8hg8q9/IMG_0365%20copy.jpg?dl=0

And the beast so far...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqufxc6hu8evjwc/IMG_0388%20copy.jpg?dl=0

Hi Norris,
Yeah, I think that's gonna have to be the way to go, esp since as Andy pointed out, I'll need to put a stereo jack in there.
If I can be tidy & careful about it, it shouldn't be too hard, surely.
Never soldered anything in my life, so I have a feeling I'll find out pretty soon...

• 3 months later...

Once again, learned bottom-enders, I find myself in need of advice, warnings, etc, by now you know the routine:

Seek advice, cock it up, return for more advice.

Anyway, today's lifeline shall be entitled 'Defeating Witness Lines'.

So the second grain-filling endeavour went south fairly quickly, but only on the front this time. (Progress?)
The back however, looks pretty damn good.
So having stripped the front down to the bare-ish wood to basically start again, but definitely don't want to strip the back.

Kinda hoping I'll be able to blend the new stain & sealer with the old, around the very edge.
Is this doable, and if so, does anyone have any tips etc please?

Cheers all,

S

• 4 years later...

Almost there…

Currently waiting for a decent humidity window to clear-coat the neck. Pretty much everything else is done. This has been quite an adventure, I must say. Plenty of ‘two steps forward, one step back’ which has been both painful and educational…

I’ll post pics of the beast when it’s finished.

672FBFD8-2DF4-497C-879F-C8DFDB685958.jpeg

A34AF294-C67A-4CEF-89CF-3A7FDCE5B5FC.jpeg

F80B0797-8813-4EFB-A1FB-F555B820D718.jpeg

8D37079B-A4F1-4EE0-B748-51DA1A0C106F.jpeg

6D69EB44-0D15-42BB-AA0D-33A15783D536.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Smanth said:

I feel it important to warn you.

GAS is a thing.

But building a bass is so addictive it puts GAS to shame.

Once you begin you may never stop!

Just saying ;)

S'manth x

Gaaghhh!! Busted already!

I have two other projects right now. One is underway, t’other is still in the ‘thinking’ stage. As an aside, I bought some strips of wood which will magically turn into a neck. None of those strips are tonewoods, purely for education & experience. For now…

There will definitely be more.

• Like 1