Why become a member? ×

A positive music shop post

Funky Dunky

PMT in Manchester have always been good when I've been in, very accommodating and happy to let you noodle away on something even when you're just having a browse. The only shame about my recent visit was the lack of interesting bass stock, just dominated by Fenders and Ibanez's. I love a good Fender but not much of a fan of Ibanez. Also seemed like there was nothing amp wise accept for Ampeg, Ashdown and TC. They used to have a huge variety but I guess times have changed and retailers only stock what is popular to maximise on sales.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1487695896' post='3241931']
PMT in Manchester have always been good when I've been in, very accommodating and happy to let you noodle away on something even when you're just having a browse. The only shame about my recent visit was the lack of interesting bass stock, just dominated by Fenders and Ibanez's. I love a good Fender but not much of a fan of Ibanez. Also seemed like there was nothing amp wise accept for Ampeg, Ashdown and TC. They used to have a huge variety but I guess times have changed and retailers only stock what is popular to maximise on sales.
[/quote]

Frankly I don't see the need for the Ashdown or the TC in that list - far too much choice! :P

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1487594136' post='3240969']
If anyone is ever in Morecambe pop into Promenade Music and ask for Gary. A great selection of basses and a welcome assured.
[/quote]

Gary sold me my first bass, my wonderful GMR 5 - it took me 2 1/2 hours and two cups of coffee to decide what I wanted, and his balance of advice and leaving me to noodle around was perfect. He was clearly not going to let me leave with anything that I was not completely happy with. (And "completely happy" was, and still is, an understatement.) My Jazz Plus 5 also came from there, and last week he sold me a beautiful fretless acoustic 5 for a silly price and re-strung it with flats into the bargain.

Very well worth the trip up from Manchester each time, for the huge and varied selection of both standard and unusual basses, the quality of advice and friendliness of welcome.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1487649827' post='3241496']
yep, great service. But I bet his price is nowhere near the best online price, just sayin, Most people would rather get a good deal than a good chat.

I'm lucky in that my fave shop will usually go lower than the best Australian online price. And they give great service, sadly they are slowly dying. I've done my best to help, bought an Epi Les Paul, Fender MIA P, MarkBass amp, Hartke cab, Takamine ABG, about ten pedals, a Tascam multitrack recorder, Yamaha monitors......yeah I've tried my best hehe
[/quote]

Completely incorrect. Tim has always offered to match the lowest online price for me whilst offering first class service if I have asked. Although I agree with your sentiment, that by driving down the price, you eat into the VERY slim profit margin so a lot of stores are (rightly) reluctant to drop their prices as it doesn't take much to become not worth it (ie, they aren't making any money). This is why I may drive a hard bargain with stores on some items but will happily pay full whack on products I know they make a good chunk of money from (accessories and pedals etc). I used to work in Music Retail so I know how to shop and balance a bargain for me but also help support shops that offer good service too. It just so happens that I've known Tim since we were really young and he also happens to be a great guy who works in a music store and can get my gear now i can't get it through my own store lol!

Edited by skej21

If I may. A positive recommendation for Victor at Bass Gear in Twyford, not too far from me in Reading ~ Berkshire.

TBH I prefer to trade on-line (strings, accessories, etc) but for one particular purchase; A small cabinet for use indoors with a class-D head, I thought I would pay a visit - a rare thing (!)

A weekday afternoon and quiet. Just me, Victor and a shop full of gear. He set up about five different combinations of heads and cabs ~ nothing too much trouble and left me to my own devices... absolutely no hard sell whatsoever. After about 30 minutes or so, I'd decided on a new Phil Jones 4x5. As Bash Bashers will testify, a ton of Bass for one small cab!!

A very happy experience. I don't need much these days but would go again in the future.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1487883928' post='3243946']
If I may. A positive recommendation for Victor at Bass Gear in Twyford, not too far from me in Reading ~ Berkshire.

TBH I prefer to trade on-line (strings, accessories, etc) but for one particular purchase; A small cabinet for use indoors with a class-D head, I thought I would pay a visit - a rare thing (!)

A weekday afternoon and quiet. Just me, Victor and a shop full of gear. He set up about five different combinations of heads and cabs ~ nothing too much trouble and left me to my own devices... absolutely no hard sell whatsoever. After about 30 minutes or so, I'd decided on a new Phil Jones 4x5. As Bash Bashers will testify, a ton of Bass for one small cab!!

A very happy experience. I don't need much these days but would go again in the future.
[/quote]

Vic was a great guy and hooked me up with some great gear too but you obviously haven't seen the news Simon. I'll drop you a PM.

Had a similar good experience with PMT southend a while back. Really friendly and patient staff that were more than happy to let me try a bunch of instruments without any pressure. Was a real pleasure shopping there and I would certainly go back again in future.

Saying that, I've generally had good experiences in most local music shops to a point. Some are disapointing due to poor stock (especially when it comes to bass) but the staff are generally decent. I did have one poor experience many years ago, when my foster-brother was looking to buy a new Gibson Les Paul. He'd saved up for months for one, and we popped into a smallish store that has long since vanished. The chap clearly assumed he was a time-waster and let him try the guitar for about two mins, before declaring he'd had enough of a go to make his mind up and snatching it back...needless to say he spent his £1500 elsewhere.

But of late, pretty good experiences all around. Certainlty PMT are nice chaps. They sometimes get a bad rep because they're a bigger store. But in my experience, the Southend branch at least, are very dencet folks who know their stuff and care about their customers.