Why become a member? ×

Finding a band.

Left Foot

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1487286493' post='3238741']
I'm 69 and formed a new 6 piece band about 3 months ago, so age has little to do with it. I already play in two other bands, but I saw a gap in the market in my area for a particular genre, and decided to exploit it. I just rang up the people I thought would be a good fit, explained what I was doing, and they all said yes! We have four gigs in the next couple of weeks. This may or may not help you. Check us out on FaceBook, Marty's Juke Joint.
[/quote]

I would disagree age, at least in the States age has a lot to do with it.

Depends on what your looking for.Especially if your background is in cover or functions bands.

Over here even if the mean age of the band is 40 they would never hire a 64 year old like me.

Maybe other guys in their 60s doing 70s rock or blues might work. Forget about Pop.

Blue

Edited by blue

Yeah, to be fair I haven't played in a pop band for 20 years, and have no wish to do so. There's a lot of genres other than pub rock. Since the last pop band I have played Irish, Latino, rockabilly, country, jazz and theatre. Plenty of gigs outside of rock covers. My point to the OP is to expand your horizons, I could not be arsed playing in pubs to drunken 20 year olds making fools of themselves. There are much better gigs around, just put yourself out there.

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1487301950' post='3238787']
Yeah, to be fair I haven't played in a pop band for 20 years, and have no wish to do so. There's a lot of genres other than pub rock. Since the last pop band I have played Irish, Latino, rockabilly, country, jazz and theatre. Plenty of gigs outside of rock covers. My point to the OP is to expand your horizons, I could not be arsed playing in pubs to drunken 20 year olds making fools of themselves. There are much better gigs around, just put yourself out there.
[/quote]

That's too bad, dealing with drunks.

We don't see much of that in our US bars in the States. Getting drunk is too much of a risk. Even for a first offense a DUI (driving under the influence) can cost 10 grand after everything is done.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1487287152' post='3238747']

Not sure what you mean by 'call ins'& call outs'?? Not a term that I'm familiar with.

For what it's worth, the last audition I did was over 20 years ago (and that was a farce). I just refuse to audition for local bands and I've been gigging solidly since that last one. It's all about your contacts and reputation - of course it helps if you can play a bit and can get on with people...
[/quote]

Hi Pete,

"Call Ins" are when venues are calling you and asking for your service. "Call Outs" are gigs from the band calling out to venues for gigs. I think it's good to have a little of both.

Me, I'm not networked where anyone would call me for work. I'll probably always be an outsider to the local Milwaukee "heavy hitters" guys under normal circumstances I would consider my peers of my vintage.

I doubt I have the ability to play with a Greg Koch or Daryl Stuermer.

Unfortunately opportunities from the audition process are always going to be questionable.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1487301950' post='3238787']
[/quote]

You're not wrong, I'm talking to someone about starting a rockabilly band. The bands he reference are a bit cheesy but he seems to think it'll help us get gigging and about locally, so OK then.
Yeah, its a balance between how much I want to play bass for the sake of it and how much I want to be in a type of band, both seem wrong when viewed that way. But its like how I enjoy golf now, I enjoy it generally, but its a massive laugh with my best mates on our favourite course.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1487235653' post='3238183']
As my band is finding, it can be very hard to find people. Our girly singer threw a flake and walked out at New Year, and we've been looking for a replacement since.

It's not for want of people answering ads. We've had at least a dozen who sounded enthusiastic, loved the set list and thought they'd be able to fit in really quickly. Then, almost guaranteed, they pulled out the night before the "audition".

One guy turned up and was absolutely awful (but funny). Another guy turned up and was totally brilliant - amazing singer, professional, owned an enormous PA. Hands were shaken, promises made, then he told us he had a few solo gigs booked so we better compare schedules. We compared schedules - he was booked every Fri and Sat until April 2018. You have to wonder why these people even reply to an ad ... though I suspect he just fancied having a blast with a band rather than backing tapes.

Got a bloke coming down on Friday evening, but honestly I fully expect him to pull out today. Not that he's given any indication of that, but the law of averages and all that.

So ... no, it's not easy!
[/quote]

In my experience, singers are the worst for this - I've been through it for three bands and for two of them we eventually broke up because we couldn't find someone who was any good.

A lot of no shows - possibly a confidence thing, and worse than those who apologise the night before the audition are those that suddenly go quiet on the day of the audition, so you're sat in a rehearsal studio that you've hired specifically for the audition twiddling your thumbs for a couple of hours while their phone diverts to voicemail.

And a lot of people who think they can sing but just can't. One more thing to blame X Factor for is the rise of people who are convinced that they are amazing singers because their friends all told them they were excellent at a karaoke night last month. Or have only ever sung along to songs in their car or their bedroom and never actually hear themselves or played with a band. Put them next to a drum kit and a guitar amp and suddenly they have no mic technique and no way to cope with normal band volumes so all you get is out of tune wailing.

A word to the wise.

When looking for a band, don't look for the best musicians or best genre for you.

I say, always look for the best people to play with.

Look how many Bass Chat posts we have seen about bands imploding because of personality and lack of experience issues.

Blue

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1487338047' post='3239110']

And a lot of people who think they can sing but just can't. One more thing to blame X Factor for is the rise of people who are convinced that they are amazing singers because their friends all told them they were excellent at a karaoke night last month. Or have only ever sung along to songs in their car or their bedroom and never actually hear themselves or played with a band. Put them next to a drum kit and a guitar amp and suddenly they have no mic technique and no way to cope with normal band volumes so all you get is out of tune wailing.
[/quote]

I used to be a decent sportsman and told a singer (who had never been in a band or on stage but her boyfriend said she was good...!) That I couldn't commit to practice three times a week cos I had training and so on. "What?! You'd rather do that than be in a band with me?!" "Yes."

People with the same outlook and aims is absolute key and patience.

Personally I've never found any mileage in going to jam nights, open mics or gigs (and I know a couple of people who run open mics). I've usually had to run the gauntlet of replying to ads or some word of mouth. Some have been fruitful but most haven't.

At the moment I'm on the look out again for a band. I'm not someone who believes that doing something is better than doing nothing. I've done that before and been utterly miserable and fed up, once to the point I almost gave up playing completely. There's nothing rewarding in doing something you don't enjoy.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1487681812' post='3241751']
Eureka!

Silly me, I was responding to peoples adds for a bassist but I've put an add out that I'm an available bassist and three existing bands came through. One which I am totally excited by.
[/quote]

Result! I hope at least one of them works out for you! :)