Why become a member? ×

Books with notation & TAB: trying not to be lazy...

highwayman

So, when reading from a bass music book I really want to develop my notation skills (which are ok for a bassist of nine months) but, if the notation and TAB are both provided next to each other, I can't help myself from reading the TAB! It drives me nuts! Anyone else find this?

I'm wondering about solutions (I clearly don't have the willpower to not glance down), but I don't really want to deface the books with permanent marker or black electrical tape...

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1485646292' post='3225620']
So, when reading from a bass music book I really want to develop my notation skills (which are ok for a bassist of nine months) but, if the notation and TAB are both provided next to each other, I can't help myself from reading the TAB! It drives me nuts! Anyone else find this?

I'm wondering about solutions (I clearly don't have the willpower to not glance down), but I don't really want to deface the books with permanent marker or black electrical tape...
[/quote]

Might be too much work but should help with the learning bit;

Print yourself some blank ledger lines and transcribe by hand from the book for those pieces you like. Then use your handwritten copy..

Good luck. I wanted to do this but my eyesight is going downhill in a way that makes sight reading impossible. I can read okay when not playing. I use tab mainly with reference to score if it is there but I'm not going to waste time on getting familiar with the dots. At 54, life's far too short to distract from the actually playing. Also I am getting my ear in, as they say, so that I can jam better with others.