Why become a member? ×

NBD:- ALPER BASS, Mako Elite, 'the Blackwood beast"

roonjuice

Hey guys, I've picked up my new bass from Chris and Alex at alpher. Let me start with saying how supremely happy I am with my new instrument (named rose by the missus), and how from design, right the way through to completion the guys ensured I got EXACTLYwhat we discussed and envisaged.
I wanted a supremely growly, passive bass, with ebony or a very rich rosewood top and board as my starting point.
The bass has a maple body with African Blackwood cap over maple body, and a solid Blackwood neck with custom lumo gel "r" at the 12th. This was after the boys showing me a piece of Blackwood, which is like a super dense ebony, and I was sold ....
Wowsers it sings! In true spinal tap fashion you can feel the sustain. It really is like a piano. The boys took on board all my idiosyncrasies and requests and helped my realise the instrument at every step, such as wanting seventies position pups, and the more guitar styled headstock logo arrangement.
Tone wise the Aguilar pups and pre really REALLY push, I wanted the growliest, which this bass does supremely, but the tone variety between the pick ups is huge.
I looked at a few custom luthiers to build this instrument, including shuker, lull and even popped into the sadowsky shop in NYC, but after meeting up with guys,
It was alpher all the way, and I couldn't be happier.
(The missus could, because I'm already planning the next one!!!!)
P.s, as well as getting my dream bass, I got some new friends too:)
R

Edited by roonjuice