Why become a member? ×

Warble and other agencies. Where best in the NW to record audio / video media?

vinorange

I once again turn to my fellow bass players to help solve a band situation.

As a regular pub / party /beer festival covers band we're considering pumping some money into a professional media pack, i.e. better recordings, video shoot and pro photos. The quality of the band isn't an issue and we're capable of the better paid gigs.

However, is it worth the £1000+ for a pro media pack and do agents like Warble actually produce the goods or is it a closet industry full of self fulfilling demands from agents whose interest is as much to get a band to shell out £1000+ with a recommended media company (which I wouldn't use anyway) to get bands on their shelves?

Edited by vinorange

Never a bad thing to have a professional media pack - it can make the difference between you or the next band getting the gig, but I'd have a got at it yourself if you can. I'm always amazed by the skills of some of my friends and acquaintances in terms of photography, video and sound production etc.

Now when it comes down to 'agents' and what they do for you (or not) that's another story...!

For video, I've used a friend of mine, Andrew Fisher, he's in business as Power2ThePixel, based on the Wirral and does really good work at a competitive price. He should be easily findable on Facebook/web.

Audio wise, in Liverpool I can highly recommend Andy Fernihough at Crash - he runs the recording studio based in their rehearsal complex. He's an experienced musician as well as a cracking engineer. They're on 0151 2360989.

As for photography, I've just used a young guy called Callum McQueen for my recent function band promo shots. My wife is a photography lecturer - he's one of her students and is showing a lot of promise. I've taken him out on a couple of tour dates with bands I work with too, very good, very professional and a nice guy. Can put you in touch if you want to drop me a message.

If you speak to both Andys, I'm sure they'd be happy to film you in session at the studio and rustle up something based on that if studio footage is what you're after.

Failing that, if you'd prefer to shoot in a more exciting looking location, you can always get someone out to multitrack your live performance on the day - in fact that's something I could possibly do for you if that's what you wanted.