Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar 250 into Orange SP212, loud?

timmchale2009

I know it seems a daft question but I'm running my reidmar through a Markbass 104HF 4 ohm cab at present and it's surprisingly earth shatteringly loud. I am contemplating an Orange Isobaric SP212 cab as it'll be more compact than what I have now but will I still be able to achieve the same sort of volumes as I am with my markbass? I get mightily confused with Ohmage etc. So if someone could enlighten me I would be ever so grateful.

Ive never used one of those Orange cabs, but homage wise it will work fine the amp would only put out around 175W as its an 8ohm cab, you'd get the dull 250W with a 4ohm.

I use the Reidmar and have used it will a single 8ohm 112 cab and its still belting loud, I think you'll be fine.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1484212147' post='3213496']
Unlikely to be loud enough.
[/quote]

Depends on your application, for small venues I can comfortable gig a single 1x12 with the reidmar.

It wont be earth shattering obviously so may not be ideal for the tim

Edited by mrn1989

I should clarify my previous post - an isobaric 2x12" will have the same max output as a 1x12" with the same speaker but will require twice as much power to get that loud.

With the same speakers in all the cabs, equal loudness gives: 50W into 2x12" = 100W into 1x12" = 200W into isobaric 2x12"

I've got a 4ohm Markbass 104HR (rear-ported version of yours) and I used to have an Orange SP212. The SP212 was a nice enough sounding cab and capable of gigging as a single cab provided you could throw some serious power at it, but it really couldn't compete with the Markbass on anything other than physical size.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1484214419' post='3213525']
I should clarify my previous post - an isobaric 2x12" will have the same max output as a 1x12" with the same speaker but will require twice as much power to get that loud.

With the same speakers in all the cabs, equal loudness gives: 50W into 2x12" = 100W into 1x12" = 200W into isobaric 2x12"
[/quote]

That goes some way to explaining why Orange added the 4/8 ohm switch on the Terror Bass head that was marketed with these, as it sounds like having the full 500 watts available at 8 ohms might be useful with these cabs.

Try it out ,I,ve got a SP212 with a Terror 500 head .This little box can take a lot of power and fills the room.
I also use an OBC115 as well and the little box keeps up no problem.
I was after another SP212 to run with 2 cabs but the OBC 115 came up at a you couldn,t turn it down price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DoxVI-GovA
This a sp212 ,terror head,no PA support and a Peavey Foundation bass with the super ferrites

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1484212013' post='3213493']
Ive never used one of those Orange cabs, but homage wise it will work fine the amp would only put out around 175W as its an 8ohm cab, you'd get the dull 250W with a 4ohm.

I use the Reidmar and have used it will a single 8ohm 112 cab and its still belting loud, I think you'll be fine.
[/quote]

"Dull watts" ? 😀