Why become a member? ×

Buying A New Bass Soon

Gridlad

Would you be happy buying second hand? You'd get some cracking stuff in that price range at the moment.

How about saving an extra £50 and shopping for a second-hand Stingray, there's a lot of them about at that kind of price lately. If the Jazz bass is more your style, I've seen a couple of second-hand Sandbergs around £650 too, and you can't go far wrong with that.

A second hand USA Jazz (as Markytbass suggested) could be a winner too. I'd have a mooch round ebay, and the for sale forum here, and see what takes your fancy.

[quote name='mike257' post='308301' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:39 AM']Would you be happy buying second hand? You'd get some cracking stuff in that price range at the moment.

How about saving an extra £50 and shopping for a second-hand Stingray, there's a lot of them about at that kind of price lately. If the Jazz bass is more your style, I've seen a couple of second-hand Sandbergs around £650 too, and you can't go far wrong with that.

A second hand USA Jazz (as Markytbass suggested) could be a winner too. I'd have a mooch round ebay, and the for sale forum here, and see what takes your fancy.[/quote]

Good idea. I'll look into that.

I've just remembered that my mate runs an online guitar store and they're opening a shop in the city centre soon. He offered me wholesale prices on anything I want so I'll get in touch with him.

How could I have forgotten that?!

[quote name='Tinman' post='308463' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:39 AM']Bugger!!! I thought this was going to be a thread about the horrible reed instrument I played in my school orchestra

*I'll get me coat* :)[/quote]

Hey, i played one of those as well.
I think i was the only school kid in London at the time who was playing one ( well thats what i was told). Got called up for the National youth orchestra at the time but i gave it up and took up sax.
And yeah, bloody heavy and not very sexy.
Still, i could play the theme from Ivor the engine on it so all was not lost.

Edited by dave_bass5

Should get a second hand Lakland Skyline of flavour or other in that price bracket. Maybe a JO4 or one of the 44 series basses if you particularly like the dimensions of the jazz neck or a BG4 if you fancy something a little different but want to stick with a more traditional theme. Loads of SH Warwicks available to you if you are looking for a real departure from the MIM jazz. SH Stingrays and Sterlings are almost in your reach too.

Also, something to consider when buying second hand, if you decide you don't like it you're not going to lose much money, if any at all, trying to sell it on, whereas if you buy a new bass, when you come to sell it, you can kiss goodbye to anywhere from 30-60% of what you paid for it.