Why become a member? ×

GK Speaker Cables

el borracho

I've just ordered a second 8 ohm cab to use with my GK MB500 Fusion. I've only ever used a single cab and have some recollection that the cables for GKs were different to standard Speakons. Am I right with this or have I made it up? Will 2 standard cables be OK?
Also, how do I connect them - as I've said I have never used two cabs - both from the amp or one from the amp to cab then to the other cab?

You'll be fine with any standard speakon cable from your GK mb head. It's the GK rb series with the 'bi-amping' feature that have the diffferent speakon cables; as they have a high pass feature with a separate amp to feed the woofer and tweeter respectively.

Regarding wiring; your good with either running both from the amp, or daisy chaining from amp>cab>cab if your cabs have an in/out speakon link. I prefer running both cabs directly from the head. (So that if any cable or cab sits out, the other one will be fine).

I don't use GK cabs (although it was very seriously considered last week). It's only the head is GK (although that might change soon :D ) and I currently use a standard speakon with Ampeg and Barefaced cabs, although not at the same time - all very confusing!

Edited by el borracho

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1481742756' post='3194810']
I'm pretty sure if you are running a GK NEO can of a standard head you will need the 4 wire lead. I tried a standard 2 wire speakon into my neo from a markbass head and got nothing. After a brief panic attack, a 1/4 Jack lead solved the problem!
[/quote]and 4 wire speakon plugs won't even go into a 2 wire speakon socket, as I found out when replacing the sockets in a PA speaker

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1481833072' post='3195601']
I don't use GK cabs (although it was very seriously considered last week). It's only the head is GK (although that might change soon :D ) and I currently use a standard speakon with Ampeg and Barefaced cabs, although not at the same time - all very confusing!
[/quote]

Stay with GK, it's killer gear!!