Why become a member? ×

Retro Ric-esque Basses?

Skybone

The dreaded GAS is building up again...

As some may have noticed, I like my Rickenfaker's, and love the sound of the Ric-style neck & mid position pickups. Been having a bit of a scout around the internet for anything that has a similar kind of pickup arrangement, and not really having much luck finding anything.

The Burns Bison Bass looks pretty cool, 3 pickups, 40mm nut width: anyone got one, tried one etc?

The Italia Rimini has a 4005 style vibe, looks quite cool, long scale, though the pickups are more neck/bridge than neck/mid. 2v & 1t controls. Anyone got one or tried one?

The Italia Imola is a seriously cool looking guitar, taking inspiration from the Ampeg Scroll bass. Pickups are J bass style single coils in J bass positions (mid/bridge), with J bass controls (2v 1t). Obviously, it's not going to sound Ric-esque, but a slab of retro-kitsch-cool.

Any other suggestions???

I think I'm just window shopping, but some opinions/experiences would be welcome.

I would love another Ric, but can't afford one or justify one. Another Faker would be great too, but decent one's are like rocking horse poo just now (there's quite a few not-so great one's about though).

Edited by Skybone

I'm already a member of the FB Faker's group, unfortunately, nothing interesting has come up for a while. I know about the Renegade, it's an option.

I've looked into the Bach Riverboat's before, they have a Jazz-like 38mm nut, where my old 4003 & my Faker's have 42/43mm nuts. Love the look of the Riverboat, not sure I can get on with the skinny neck. The last Jazz I had, after the 4003, just didn't feel right at all. All the J style necks I've tried since haven't felt right either, which is a shame, as I'd love a Thunderbird.

The Italia's have a Precision-esque 42/43mm nut, but typically, there's no one around here that stocks them.