Why become a member? ×

To sell or not to sell? Advice sought.

Funky Dunky

I have a Sterling Sub Ray 4 in trans blue. I think it's absolutely stunning, especially for such a cheap bass. However, I find myself falling out of love with it lately as I've made several tweaks to the set-up, but can't get it playing the way I want it to. In addition, I'm starting to find fault with the sound of the thing.

So here are my options - keep it. Pay for a pro set up. See how I feel after that.

Or

Flog it. Buy a Sterling Ray34 or 35, putting me a few hundred quid down, and of course the Rays only come in about three finishes, none of which particularly butter me parsnips.

What would you do?

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1478463359' post='3169231']
Can you still get a Ray 34 in Blue Sparkle? They were stunning. But, aren't they going to sound the same as what you have, or thereabouts?
[/quote]

I think other than the body shape and pickup placement the similarities end there, a preamp and pickup would get it sounding close though.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1478463034' post='3169228']
Dead spot at the 17th fret on the D string, can't get the action decently low without fretbuzz and my setting up skills are not terrific.

But hang on....I just saw the full range of colours in the Ray34....there's a blue I didn't know about.....
[/quote]
What you doing up there? :lol:

I suppose it could have limitations with the neck, what's the truss rod like? Do they adjust like the ebmm ones?

My first tactic would be purchase a sanding detail stick (aka fret dressing / crowning stick £5 tops), masking tape or fret protector strip and a short length of straight metal (you can purchase a fret rocker if you want). Remove strings, adjust neck to flat and crown frets spending a bit more time on any that are 'high'. It is unlikely that there will be any major issues on a bass of this quality. Put strings back on and adjust truss rod, saddles and neck shim if needed (there are many good setup guides on youtube). It really is an easy DIY job and with a sanding detail stick you can not do any significant damage. If this does not work then Grangur's advice is on the money. At that point it is a matter of cost - benefit - how much do you like the bass (unless you can diy level and recrown).

Edited by 3below

I mistakenly thought Sterling Rays had a 38mm nut width - apparently it's only the Ray34CA which does. Slightly offputting. I do love the neck on my SUB Ray4.

Why in the hell is it called a SUB? Sports Utility Bass? Really? Where does Sport come into it?

I'm going to experiment with my BD121 and see if I can get a sound from the SUB which pleases me more. If so, I will look at getting the setup adjusted and keep it. If not, then I'm probably going to punt it.