Why become a member? ×

Shortscale and sparkly. On a budget. By a Beginner

FuNkShUi

Now we're talking! :D

Excellent - it's come out pretty well! :) I like the colour - much more defined than I think I expected. And, presumably, if your nails get too long you can file them down during the gig? :lol:

Seriously, though - well done! That was a bigger challenge than I would normally want to take on and it's worked. How 'stuck' is the glitter?

Thanks Andy.
I actually expected more purple to come through, as there were equal amounts of the three types of flake, but the green seems to be the predominant colour. I'm fine with that though, as i do like it.
Hahaha it's actually not too bad, but that's mostly because i put about 10 clear coats on.
It definitely was more work than i initially imagined!!
The glitter is very stuck. But that's because i "added" a step to my method.
I realised there was a lot of loose flake. So after every coat of clear, i let it dry for a night, then took the bass off it's hanger and shook it to remove all the loose flake onto a big bin lid.
That way, every time i was adding a coat of clear, i was adding it to a stuck layer. Hope that makes sense :lol:

Excellent work! Please feel free to pass on any other tips that occur to you. Flake is involved in one of my future build daydreams (build 4 or 5 - a 34" scale 4-string, single 'bucker passive archtop bass with scrolls and translucent red base & gold flake... or something audacious like that!)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1487692579' post='3241891']
Sounds a very good way of making sure. I'll bear that method in mind in case I ever get asked to do one... :) ;)
[/quote]

Honestly, this was exactly what it said in the title. A beginner build.
I am happy with the end result, but it's because i went in with my eyes open!
If i ever did another sparkly build, i would probably use the spray gun, and pre-mix the flake. I know how much of a perfectionist you are mate, i dont think you could cope with this method haha

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1487694271' post='3241908']
It looks great, when you see the close up you can see the proportions but the green really does come through when viewed as a whole. It's quite surprising really.
[/quote]

Yeh it is a strange one. I've shown a few people and asked them what colour they thought it was. All of them said green.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1487699485' post='3241977']
Excellent work! Please feel free to pass on any other tips that occur to you. Flake is involved in one of my future build daydreams (build 4 or 5 - a 34" scale 4-string, single 'bucker passive archtop bass with scrolls and translucent red base & gold flake... or something audacious like that!)
[/quote]

Thanks! I have been pretty honest about the process. All the difficulties i came across are on here.
I think if i did it again i would have worried less about removing the paint initially and trying to get a good smooth finish.
It really didn't make much difference because after adding the flake, you couldn't really tell what the finish underneath was like anyway. Again, this totally depends on the method you choose to use.
One other thing, if you do use this method, be very liberal with your coatings of clear laquer and flake. All the flake that doesn't take, you can re-use on the next layer anyway.
I like the sound of your build! Look forward to seeing it

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1487775633' post='3242730']
Woohoo, glad to see this one finished!! It looks great, I bet it was a bugger getting the finish smooth with all that glitter! Sounds like you found a smart way of doing it though! Bet it looks killer in the flesh. You glad to have it finished?

Hope the shoulder is on the mend!
[/quote]

Cheers Rik. Shoulder will never be 100% (damn rugby), but we are getting there.

I'll be honest, it isnt smooth as a gloss finish, and you can definitely feel the flake. But its not like sandpaper either. Kind of inbetween!
I am happy with it though. Looks wise. Just gotta sort the electronics out and it'll be gig ready.
Definitely happy it's finished though :lol:

Edited by FuNkShUi

• 3 weeks later...

Its looking great, and thanks for the thread, very interesting. Did you ever think not to have a scratchplate and let all the glittery top shine out?? I'm starting to do a squire affinity telecaster, and bought some custom car sprays, a silver base coat and a candy tangerine top coat, so I wont have the same glittery problems as you, but my thinking is I would probably hate to cover u all the lovely orangey colour with a scratchplate, so am going to fill the screw holes in with wood filler first. If I ever get beyond routing out the new pups (going for twin Gretsch esque powertron types , actually black cats from the creamery in manchester), I'll maybe start a thread of my own.

[quote name='Bassman Rich' timestamp='1489138841' post='3254609']
Its looking great, and thanks for the thread, very interesting. Did you ever think not to have a scratchplate and let all the glittery top shine out?? I'm starting to do a squire affinity telecaster, and bought some custom car sprays, a silver base coat and a candy tangerine top coat, so I wont have the same glittery problems as you, but my thinking is I would probably hate to cover u all the lovely orangey colour with a scratchplate, so am going to fill the screw holes in with wood filler first. If I ever get beyond routing out the new pups (going for twin Gretsch esque powertron types , actually black cats from the creamery in manchester), I'll maybe start a thread of my own.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good build!
I did think about not using a scratchplate, but i just prefer the look of having one really. Nothing more to it than that.
I mixed green purple and a shiny iridescent colour here, but my other choice was red , orange and yellow.
So i'd like to see what a orange one would look like!