Why become a member? ×

*****SOLD***** Squier Vintage Modified Fretless jazz bass

Chris2112

Having acquired two fretless jazz absses I thought I should let one go, so to make a bit of space for something new in my colelction I'm offering for sale my Squier VM fretless bass. It's practically "as new", apart from the light marks on the board from playing it with roundwound strings. These are fantastic basses, really great quality especially for the money. I have had many a good night playign Weather Report tunes on this bass and I hope it goes to a good owner.

here a few photos...sorry I don't have any solo shots of it!

I can take new photos if you're interested, but the condition has not changed.

[b]THIS ITEM HAS BEEN SOLD! Thanks for looking guys![/b]

Chris

Edited by Chris2112

For anyone collecting in Newcastle, you may be able to get a small discount on this. If you bring along an Alembic or Status Graphite bass and give me a quick 5 minute demo of you playing on it, you can have this for [b]£120[/b]. Despite having owned a Status bass in the past, I never get to see enough of them!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='304116' date='Oct 10 2008, 06:29 PM']What are these like, is it worth swapping stuff out on one, changing the bridge and pickups etc ?.

I'm after a jazz bass, and I want an electric fretless so I'm thinking I may combine the two things and get a fretless jazz.[/quote]

I tried one of these out about 8 months back and was v.impressed - I ended up getting a MIA jazz fretless, mainly because I wanted a RW 'board instead of the phenolic and the US pups were a bit 'smoother'. But the VMJ hits well above its weight -I for one am seriously considering one if I can ever find house room

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='304116' date='Oct 10 2008, 06:29 PM']What are these like, is it worth swapping stuff out on one, changing the bridge and pickups etc ?.

I'm after a jazz bass, and I want an electric fretless so I'm thinking I may combine the two things and get a fretless jazz.[/quote]
You may want to change the bridge to improve the sustain as i'd imagine it wouldn't be that good in a fretless (never really tried one) but the stock pickups are pretty nice and are in general very nice basses :)

I've seen them upgraded with very favourable results. A friend of mine who owns a VM fretless swapped the pickups out for some Bartolini ones and even ended up putting a preamp in. He also changed the tuners since he had a set going spare. However, in the end we both agreed that they were unneccesary upgrades, as the are fine basses without them. I think this one here must have been one of the first in the country, I preordered it from Guitar Guitar when they were released.

As it is, they make great basses for upgrading, but even in their unmodified state they are cracking basses. Great tone, stunning looks, even the controversial ebonol board is a good choice imo- it provides a smooth, even response and doesn't mark quite as much as unfinished rosewood seems to.

Like I say, it's an excellent bass. However, it comes as the first one to be cut from my stable since I now have two fretless jazz basses and I thought I'd keep my newer one since I've had less time to play it.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Chris

Just want to add theat I have one of these basses and they are superb. My previous basses have been a Musicman Stingray, 1977 Fender Precision, 1973 Telecaster bass and this Squire Vintage Fretless is probably my favourite or equal favourite to the Musicman. I am so impressed with mine that I am looking at getting the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz. I just hope its just as good as this fretless. If anyone wants a great fretless bass, then you really can't go wrong with this.