Why become a member? ×

Where can I find a Jap Jazz scratchplate?

Jamesemt

I've bought a Fender Japan Jazz 62ri body but it doesn't have a scratchplate. I remember reading somewhere that the holes will only line up with a Japanese scratchplate. Is that true? Anyone know where I can get one? Ishibashi want £34 for an Allparts one shipped...

I'm looking for an off white/parchment

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='303084' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:28 PM']I've bought a Fender Japan Jazz 62ri body but it doesn't have a scratchplate. I remember reading somewhere that the holes will only line up with a Japanese scratchplate. Is that true? Anyone know where I can get one? Ishibashi want £34 for an Allparts one shipped...

I'm looking for an off white/parchment[/quote]

Geek99 has one - it's attached to the 62 RI Jazz I just sold him but he's planning a refinsh so the plate my be changing ...

well done to OldGit for spotting this one. I'm not planning to change anything on the 62 RI bass, so am unable to help you directly - i like it just the way it is. There is a site called www.pickguard.com (or somesuch) who will make them up from tracings if they cant supply one. You could try them? Also try ebay.

I can't speak for the CIJ Jazzes specifically, but I replaced the scratch-plate on my CIJ Precision without major problems. The only problem I ran into was that the neck pocket was slightly too small on the replacement scratch-plate (which I believe had come of a MIM Fender – I got it on eBay). A few minutes with a file and it fitted perfectly. Oh, and it was a 10-hole scratch-plate rather than a 12-hole one, so I had to drill a new screw hole for a screw that was in a different place. The rest of them lined up perfectly.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't expect the CIJ scratch-plates to be drastically different from the standard Fender ones. Of course YMMV.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='303084' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:28 PM']I've bought a Fender Japan Jazz 62ri body but it doesn't have a scratchplate. I remember reading somewhere that the holes will only line up with a Japanese scratchplate. Is that true? Anyone know where I can get one?[/quote]
Is this true?
I too have a Japanese Jazz that I was thinking of changing the scratchplate on. I foresee another nightmare scenario approaching...

It's been done before in small ways - in the 'wanted' forum - but maybe someone should start a dedicated 'pickguard exchange' thread there.

Not that it's ideal in this case where Jamesemt hasn't got one to swap. There are many companies , like WD , bassparts resource , axesrus - dozens - that sell replacement pickguards but the issue of holes lining up seems a very real one from reading posts here. Being a 'fettler' to some extent it's never bothered me. I've filled them and drilled new ones where required. Obviously many folks don't want to do that.

There's a pinned , very useful ,list of spare part suppliers in the repairs forum - might be a good place to start.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='303084' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:28 PM']I've bought a Fender Japan Jazz 62ri body but it doesn't have a scratchplate. I remember reading somewhere that the holes will only line up with a Japanese scratchplate. Is that true? Anyone know where I can get one? Ishibashi want £34 for an Allparts one shipped...

I'm looking for an off white/parchment[/quote]

I replaced the white one on my CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz with a black pearloid. It fitted perfectly, no mods required.

I still have the white one if you're interested, or I could find the website I used to source the black pearloid one ?

Sadly, I'm at work today, but could post up or pm you the web addy when I get home later today

Cheers
Fraser

[quote name='Rayman' post='305763' date='Oct 13 2008, 08:19 PM']I've got ruddy jazz guards coming out of my ears, none of them are white though I don't think, just black or tort.[/quote]
You don't have one cut for a precision pickup do you? I'm having trouble finding a one of them, i might just send mine off to sims customs and get them to make me one.