Why become a member? ×

G&L

JamesBass

How does the lack of a tone control work out on the SB2?

Do you miss it?

I'm buying myself a PJ for Christmas and I'm currently thinking of a Yamaha BB424x or BB1024x but the SB2 Tribute has also grabbed my attention. I guess that theoretically you can probably vary the tone by adjusting the volume between neck and bridge pickups, but it seems like it might be a bit fiddly?

Edited by Cato

I never missed it but I found a reasonable range of tones between the two volume pots. I never regarded it as fiddly either, certainly no more than twisting a tone pot. I know some SB2 owners have missed the tone though and it's a fairly straightforward mod to add one apparently (I've also heard you can custom order one from G&L with the tone control added). I've never owned a trib but I've heard nothing but good things about them and they seem great value.

[quote name='Embra' timestamp='1477846591' post='3164795']
I never missed it but I found a reasonable range of tones between the two volume pots. I never regarded it as fiddly either, certainly no more than twisting a tone pot. I know some SB2 owners have missed the tone though and it's a fairly straightforward mod to add one apparently (I've also heard you can custom order one from G&L with the tone control added). I've never owned a trib but I've heard nothing but good things about them and they seem great value.
[/quote]

Cheers, that's useful.

I generally play jazzes with everything flat out so I don't really use the tone at the moment, so there's a good chance I wouldn't miss it, I've just never owned a bass without one.

I'm going to have to go out and try one to see if we get on.

Edited by Cato

I don't use my SB2 as much these days but I never missed the tone control; the bridge pickup is quite weak (I think because it's so close to the bridge), so the way I see it, it's almost like that pickup is the tone control - if you want more treble turn that pickup up, you want less, turn it down. So you have something that works in a similar fashion, but gives a different effect to a tone control. Of course, YMMV.

Edited by Graham

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1477848095' post='3164808']
I don't use my SB2 as much these days but I never missed the tone control; the bridge pickup is quite weak (I think because it's so close to the bridge), so the way I see it, it's almost like that pickup is the tone control - if you want more treble turn that pickup up, you want less, turn it down. So you have something that works in a similar fashion, but gives a different effect to a tone control. Of course, YMMV.
[/quote]

Thanks, a weak bridge pickup might be a deal breaker, although I'm aware that on a PJ the bridge pickup is often quieter than the P.

I'm hoping to find something that gives a similar scooped tone to the Jazz, but with a bit more oomph, if that makes sense.

The bridge pickup is definitely weaker than the neck pup, and agree with Graham that its main purpose seems to be as a tone control; however (and I appreciate I may be totally alone in this view :blink:!! ), but I think it can be used to get that J bridge pup tone, especially in conjunction with a boost pedal. Not ideal by an means, but not completely useless on its own either in my view.

But if you're looking for something near an overall Jazz tone I'm not sure the SB2 would be for you - it's defiantly more a P than a J in my experience.

If you want a jazz configuration then from the G&L range I suggest you seek out a Tribute JB-2. They are exceedingly well made. The SB-2 is the bass player's revenge. That innocent looking P pickup will eat most actives for breakfast, and throws out a strong fundamental for real weight in the low frequencies. Fellow band members might not like it. So, it is not so much the J pickup being weak in my opinion. It is usually the case that the P predominates though. Even my expensive Mike Lull PJ5 suffers from that.

Any passive tone control will bleed off some treble at all settings, although whether or not you can hear it depends on the component values. The SB lets through the raw output which means a bit more top end agression. You can tame it somewhat by winding back the bass volume and increasing the amp input gain. If you then need to cut through, turn up the volume and you not only get louder but add clarity too. Genius (Leo Fender, that is).

Edited by DBerriff

One feature of G&L basses is that most models share the same basic non-offset body shape. It is so obvious really. You can switch basses and immediately feel at home. I find this most important when I am reading and do not have time to look at my finger positioning.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1477851611' post='3164844']

Warwickshire, about 20 mins from Bass Direct and a short train ride from Birmingham.
[/quote]

But far from me in Sussex/Surrey, but if you're ever down this way stop in for a cup of tea and a spin on the SB2

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1477855084' post='3164885']

But far from me in Sussex/Surrey, but if you're ever down this way stop in for a cup of tea and a spin on the SB2
[/quote]

It's a bit of a way, but thanks for the offer, this truly is a brilliant forum.

Cato - SB-2's are nice basses for sure, and pack a lot of punch and bite. So far as tribbies go in general the necks are a littl thicker on the L series, so just check on the SB's what they are like, but they are definitely quality instruments.

Considering you use a Jazz bass already I'm interested in tonally what you are looking at (no disrespect meant in the question). The G&L Jazz basses are different to other Jazz's with G&L's pick ups being just awesome. There is the JB and the MJ which is wired and wound differently and is noise cancelling compared to the JB.

If its more of a passive P sound, but modern and aggressive then the SB-1 may be a good compliment on its own without the J element. If its traditional P, then LB-100 is your go to.

Whatever you decide, G&L is the way forward