Why become a member? ×

Fender Mexican Jazz vs. American Highway 1 Jazz

tinsoldier

People are going to tell you different, but every Highway One I've played has seemed dull and thuddy to me. I don't know if it's the different pickups or the nitro finish, but I just can't get along with the sound they make.

If you find a good Mexican model, they really do seem to sound very different. A much more modern, glassy sounding instrument. The last couple of new MIM Jazzes I've played have been excellent, as is the current MIM Precision I have.

I guess it's down to the sound you prefer. If you want that old school thud, go Highway One. If you want something a little more modern sounding, a good Mex is the place to be in that price range of Fenders.

I tried a few MIM Jazz basses about a year ago along with MIA and Squiers. In terms of how they felt in my hands the MIM was a lot closer to the Squier than the MIA, in fact it felt a bit cheaper (the scratchplate on a sunburst one i played was particularly ugh, was rough around the edges). However they do seem to be very popular so maybe i just got hold of a few bad eggs.

If money is an issue, try a Squier with a decal change.... IMO it's as genuine a Fender as the MIM one!

Try 'em both, it's the only way to find out what suits you personally. I went in to buy an MIA Jazz but came home with a MIM. It just felt nicer to play, and as I already knew I was going to change the bridge and pickups, knew I would get the tone I wanted. And as someone else has mentioned, both the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe Squier Jazz basses have a really good reputation too (I have the CV 60's Precision which is great). But you need to try them yourself.

I love my HW1 Jazz. Even with a BA2 on it.
When i was looking for my first Jazz this sounded the best in the shop, to me. i guess we all like something different but i think it nails the tone i was looking for at the time (ie, A vintage jazz tone).
I had a HW-One P and although it was nice i don't really like the grease bucket tone control. Not sure if the new Jazz has it as well but i think it takes something away form the tone.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='mike257' post='302667' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:19 AM']I can't vouch for it first hand, but a frined of mine just picked up a MIM Classic 70's Jazz and loves it. His live tone with it was pretty good too, really clear top end.[/quote]

I played one in a shop in Paris. It really was a lovely, lovely bass. The neck felt fantastic and I usually much prefer precision necks to jazz ones.

I'd buy one over an american standard jazz everyday of the week.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='302880' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:00 PM']I love my HW1 Jazz. Even with a BA2 on it.
When i was looking for my first Jazz this sounded the best in the shop, to me. i guess we all like something different but i think it nails the tone i was looking for at the time (ie, A vintage jazz tone).
I had a HW-One P and although it was nice i don't really like the grease bucket tone control. Not sure if the new Jazz has it as well but i think it takes something away form the tone.[/quote]

I agree, the greasebucket tone control sucks, on all the HW1 Ps I have played there was none of the nice thick sounds to be obtained by rolling off the tone

[quote name='GЯДИК' post='303131' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:27 PM']I agree, the greasebucket tone control sucks, on all the HW1 Ps I have played there was none of the nice thick sounds to be obtained by rolling off the tone[/quote]

You mean HW-Ones ;-)
The HW1 had the normal tone control. confusing i know but the 2006 range are called one and the original range called 1.