Why become a member? ×

bassguitarsecrets.com

JimH

Yeah I purchased this back in May or so when I picked up the bass again. I found after a 2 year gap I could hardly remember anything so was on the look out for something to help me back in. Was hesitant at first as thought it could be a scam/a loaf of sh*te.

But anyways I decided to go for it, started doing it & found it useful for a few things. I then lost the time to be able to sit down & read through 100 page PDF documents lol so I didn't get very far with it. If I do get a spare day to myself though I will sit down & work through.

As I said it is useful & does include a few good ideas. The free software bundle that comes with it also includes some decent little programs. I haven't of course seen the end result but if it's like the guy playing in the video then it's surely worth it!

So if you've got the time to sit down in front of the computer with your bass & grind through it then yeah I recommend it.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='302111' date='Oct 8 2008, 12:52 PM']Yeah I purchased this back in May or so when I picked up the bass again. I found after a 2 year gap I could hardly remember anything so was on the look out for something to help me back in. Was hesitant at first as thought it could be a scam/a loaf of sh*te.

But anyways I decided to go for it, started doing it & found it useful for a few things. I then lost the time to be able to sit down & read through 100 page PDF documents lol so I didn't get very far with it. If I do get a spare day to myself though I will sit down & work through.

As I said it is useful & does include a few good ideas. The free software bundle that comes with it also includes some decent little programs. I haven't of course seen the end result but if it's like the guy playing in the video then it's surely worth it!

So if you've got the time to sit down in front of the computer with your bass & grind through it then yeah I recommend it.[/quote]

Thanks - and thanks everyone else for the alternatives - however the original request for reviews was because this method bigs itself up as being different - my attention span is too short for all of the basic dull stuff (and I'm past most of that ability-wise, as I read music and play guitar/keys too) - looking for improvement techniques, improvisation tips etc. really....

There are alot of music sites and books that offer themselves as a 'system'. Somehow they want to suggest they have a uniquely insightful approach. Problem is often you need a range of approaches. So it's good to play exercises (heaps of bass books have these but don't want to pay royalties for actual songs) but sometimes you need to find a real song and master it (bass tab white pages is good for this, sure some of it won't be your style but I challenge anyone not to find one meaty song they've always wanted to play in it.

Watch out for tutorials books that have no tab or push sheet music reading as a sacred grail. I found Ed Friedland's 'Bass Grooves' very useful last year because it teaches simple common grooves and emphasises timing and control over flash technique. Ed's 'Blues Bass' is good too because unlike most of his other books there are real blues songs tabbed out.

Anyone else noticed the Yardbirds 'Jeff's Boogie' is just 'Hideaway' with attitude? Or was it 'Nazz are Blue'? Roger the Engineer anyway...

[quote name='cytania' post='303070' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:14 PM']Watch out for tutorials books that have no tab or push sheet music reading as a sacred grail. I found Ed Friedland's 'Bass Grooves' very useful last year because it teaches simple common grooves and emphasises timing and control over flash technique. Ed's 'Blues Bass' is good too because unlike most of his other books there are real blues songs tabbed out.[/quote]

The Blues Bass one is a very good book... My copy started to fall to bits, I'd been using it so much... I'm now playing off of photocopies of the pages, the book has been put away to save further wear and tear